Just acquired a bunch of Fisher gear & some other goodies. Need advice

Doc

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and new to vintage audio. Anybody want to chime in an offer advice on what I have recently acquired? My intention is to keep and refurbish the best of what I have for my own use and for my brother, sell the rest as I simply do not have the space to run everything. I got some referrals for reputable people who work on these but was hoping to get your opinions. What would you keep? Why? What would you pair with each other etc...I have a 1200 square foot house. They would go in my living room. I don't need to rock out the entire block but hey....once in a while ;-)Thanks in advance! I realize this is a lofty list and includes some things not related to Fisher. Cheers!
1. Fisher SA-1000 StereophonicPower amp
2. Fisher 400-CX stereo master audio control
3. Fisher X-101-C stereo master control amp
4. Fisher FM 1000 stereophonic
5. Fisher 500
6. Fisher 500-C
7. Fisher 100 amp x's 2
8. Fisher FM-200-B
9. Fisher FM-100-B
10. Klipsch Heresy speakers HOL. Consecutive serial #'s
11. JBL. model L20T
I also have several Dynkits, Mark lll, Mark IV, Stereo 70, Pass 2 & Dyna FM tuner combo, Stereo amp
Harmon Kardon Citation IV, McIntosh MC 2120 & McIntosh MC 113

Congradulations! Sounds like a great haul if everything is close to complete.

With speakers as efficient as the Heresy's, you'll get a lot of volume from your tube gear. You may eventually want to upgrade, but as long as they are working well you can start with them. The JBLs are a great little speaker, so you can keep those as spares or secondaries. Not a ton of money in them. A couple different speakers are good to have, but I think you will eventually move up in speakers if you stay with tube audio gear.

As for the tube gear, sounds like you have lots of different flavors to work with. Assuming you have chosen Fisher as your "keepers", you need to decide whether you want a receiver (like the 500C) or components (a system with a tuner, a preamp, and an amplifier). Or a tuner and an integrated amp. You have enough components to make a killer Fisher setup no matter what you choose.

And if your goal is selling everything else, you will have more than enough money to pay to have what you keep completely rebuilt.

If space is really critical, then the 500C receiver makes sense. If you have more room you can go for components.

If you listen to a lot of FM radio, then you have two great tuners (100 and 200) and one that is supposedly about the best Fisher made (the 1000). The 1000 is rarer and better which is great if you are into FM and great audio. If FM is bad where you are or if you never listen then either of the other tners will do just fine.

You have similar choices with the remaining Fisher geat. The 400CX is a dedicated preamp, so you could pair it with two mono amps or one of the stereo power amps. The X101C is an integrated amp so it could stand alone.

Your choices are a Fisher collector's dream, and I don't think you can make a bad pick from among the gear you have listed.

Good Luck!

Me? If I had to decide on what to keep it would be:

1, 2, 4.

Bro would get:

The rest I would sell to offset the cost of restoring the stuff kept.

And if 7 are a pair of SA-100's, I'd sell me a cage of one of them :biggrin:

Congradulations! Sounds like a great haul if everything is close to complete.

With speakers as efficient as the Heresy's, you'll get a lot of volume from your tube gear. You may eventually want to upgrade, but as long as they are working well you can start with them. The JBLs are a great little speaker, so you can keep those as spares or secondaries. Not a ton of money in them. A couple different speakers are good to have, but I think you will eventually move up in speakers if you stay with tube audio gear.

As for the tube gear, sounds like you have lots of different flavors to work with. Assuming you have chosen Fisher as your "keepers", you need to decide whether you want a receiver (like the 500C) or components (a system with a tuner, a preamp, and an amplifier). Or a tuner and an integrated amp. You have enough components to make a killer Fisher setup no matter what you choose.

And if your goal is selling everything else, you will have more than enough money to pay to have what you keep completely rebuilt.

If space is really critical, then the 500C receiver makes sense. If you have more room you can go for components.

If you listen to a lot of FM radio, then you have two great tuners (100 and 200) and one that is supposedly about the best Fisher made (the 1000). The 1000 is rarer and better which is great if you are into FM and great audio. If FM is bad where you are or if you never listen then either of the other tners will do just fine.

You have similar choices with the remaining Fisher geat. The 400CX is a dedicated preamp, so you could pair it with two mono amps or one of the stereo power amps. The X101C is an integrated amp so it could stand alone.

Your choices are a Fisher collector's dream, and I don't think you can make a bad pick from among the gear you have listed.

Good Luck!
Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your insight!!!

Love The Fisher gear. All of it is a collectors.....dream. Personally, I am into separates: deck, tuner, pre and monos....however the 500c is the tits too.
There are some very knowledgeable Fisherphiles on here to weigh in... All I can say is a big bloody KUDOS to you!!!
Thanks!

Me? If I had to decide on what to keep it would be:

1, 2, 4.

Bro would get:

The rest I would sell to offset the cost of restoring the stuff kept.

And if 7 are a pair of SA-100's, I'd sell me a cage of one of them :biggrin:
Thank you!

You mentioned you're new to vintage audio, what was caused you to acquire all of these specific, desirable units?

Having owned a 400CX, that would be on my "keep list" for sure.
SA-1000's are not plentiful and that one should be kept (IMO) because of its rarity, and should be a phenomenal sounding amplifier once properly restored.

500's are nice, but much more common.

What a 'scroe'. Your relative had excellent taste in equipment.
Wonder if they were a former Fisher employee or associate, considering the quantity and caliber of that gear...

Agree with all of the above. You've got a bigger house than I do and you're complaining about not having room???????????????????????:biggrin: All of that together doesn't take up as much space as one of my 14 consoles in a 1000sqft house. Give brother what he wants then keep what you want plus a spare. Sell the rest. If you put your location in your profile I'm sure someone here is close enough to give you a hand lugging all that stuff out to their car/truck/Soccer Mom vehicle.:bigok:

Oh YEAH, :wtf:...............:needpics:

Welcome to the Fisher House of Nuts.
Larry

The Citation IV is also an incredible preamp. You could build two incredible systems of separates around the 400-CX, SA-1000, FM-1000, 100(x2), FM-200-B, and Citation IV.

Very nice find!
You can make a fantastic system if you restored the SA-1000, 400CX and the FM-1000 tuner. If you have efficient speakers, and those 100's are SA100's, I'd swap one in the place of the SA-1000 once in a while :)
The Dynakits are nice too. I just restored a pair of MKIII's that have been sitting on a shelf in my garage for too long and they sound great, especially in triode mode. Check to see if your MKIII's have original Genalex KT88's in them as they are great sounding tubes.
I've never heard a Citation IV but hopefully it's better than the noisy restored Citation 1 preamp I own. Mate it up with a Citation amp and you will have a second great system. I have a Citation II as well as a Citation V amplifier and although I prefer the V, I'm sure either would go nicely with your Citation IV.
Best of luck going through your great score!

Hell, I'd be happy with the 500, 500c or the FM-100B to go with my X-101-B.
Gotta check around with some of my relatives and see if any have any gear. Hint Hint!

Sorry for your loss and hopefully your gear will be a pleasant reminder of your loved one for a very long time.

wow tons of tasty gear.id be keeping the fisher sa100{2} and use them to biamp a newly acquired pair of higher end vintage co-axial speakers that you purchase with the sale of the recievers.Of course youll be using the fisher 400cx as your dedicated preamp and keep the higher end tuner for a full seperates Fisher system.
Speakers id consider would be Altec 604/Tannoy 15'' gold/silvers/Stephens 206axa.
Sorry to hear of the death in the family
hunter

I would keep for myself the SA-1000 the 400-CX pre and the FM 1000. I would give to my brother his choice of the 500-C or the X-101-C and the FM-200-B. I will sell or trade the rest. Would love to see pictures?

Having owned a 400CX, that would be on my "keep list" for sure.
SA-1000's are not plentiful and that one should be kept (IMO) because of its rarity, and should be a phenomenal sounding amplifier once properly restored.

500's are nice, but much more common.

What a 'scroe'. Your relative had excellent taste in equipment.
Wonder if they were a former Fisher employee or associate, considering the quantity and caliber of that gear...
Thanks for the insight. He was not in the industry but obviously was into it. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom