Just an Old Chevy Farm truck

70cst

70cst
When I was 18 I could not afford a Big Block Chevy. At 65 I still cannot afford a Big Block Chevy but ... I can afford a BB Chevy truck.

This is a 1970 Chevy CST (Custom Sport truck)
It has the following factory options: 402BB, 400 Turbo Automatic, Tilt Wheel, AC, Gauge Package, Tinted Windows, Two Tone Green, LWB, and Bucket Seats with Console.

This truck was built the year I graduated High School.

And now you know... :)70cst side view.jpg 70cst Interior.jpg 70cst Engine .jpg

Last edited:
wOw ... flashback!

I had a '68 GMC with similar roots ... it'd been used for farm work for many years before I picked it up, and certainly looked it. I got a couple good seasons out of it before the six banger blew up, but fortunately, a kid across the road totalled his Roadrunner about the same time.

?

I got the drive train for next to nothing and wedged that into the truck. Cut the Mopar mounts out of the car and just dropped the motor in, welding it to the truck frame. A Custom by Cobble trannie mount, and cut and welded both driveshafts together. Would you believe it ran great, and even smooth, at highway speeds? With a couple cords of wood in the back? <G>

Kind of a FrankenMobile once the dust settled. I also tore out the stock bench seat and put in the buckets and console from a Bronco, completing the full G M C crossover. G for GM, M for Motocraft, and C for Chrysler ...

Finally lost it when one of the front end king pins broke ... wheel went sideways in the fender, resulting in what some would call a "significant" loss of control. I left a pretty good dent in the inside of the driver's door ... those metal panels are HARD, but not as hard as me! :-}

The moral there ... DO check that front end out closely ... not something you want to ignore if it's got miles on it.

I love those 67-72 chevys, very nice truck ! and cool drivetrain too.

There's a picture here somewhere of my 67 grampas farm truck I had until a few years ago.

Very nice truck, did you restore the truck yourself?

No ... this was a frame off.

It was in a barn that was hit by a tornado 12/13/15 - it is just now getting finished by the Egyptian.Egyptian .jpg Truck and Barn 038.jpg - compliments of Haggerty Insurance.

Hey, I should get mine on Haggery.
They cover the wife's 350SL

Mine is stored a lot now on the farm.
I did a frame off a couple times but went for a custom once, then a simplified restore.
It's plain Jane and sees farm action mostly now.

Custom 6 hole wheels were never really very available back in the day. The 4 wheeler wheels had too large of a center. I used some and had stud problems.

My sister had a 71 but didn't love it.

Nice truck! Thanks for sharing it with us.

My brother 'saved' a '72 El Camino last summer. I helped with getting it back on the road again. It was fun working on something simple from back in the days.[I posted a pic of it over in the vintage gm thread]
I guess if your barn is going to take out your ride when it gets hit by a tornado it's a good thing it was insured with Haggerty.

Last edited:
All I got right now is toy trucks ... they want to grow up to be just like yours!

93ranger-topper-done.jpg

Nice truck. A few years back I had a 69CST-10 long box. 350/T-400/4:10 gears. hit some tough times and sold it and my 55 sedan to a buddy. Buddy's a mechanic and hot rodder and he built a 383 stroker with a B&M144 blower for it and used to run it in the 1/8 mile. Blew the motor last year and sold it back to the guy I bought it from who just had to have it back. Supposedly once the stroker motor is redone it will be going into the 55sedan for next summers cruising season.

Back
Top Bottom