Just an Old Chevy Farm truck

Speaking of Chevy trucks, I saw one of these today in black. Strange looking beast but cool.

4f8c61965b7a5fd0beb2bc9bf802baf5.jpg

Hey
Sweeeet truck.
I had a 72 Chevy 1/2ton. 2 wheel drive. 350 with a 3 on the tree. One of my favorite rides. Wrecked it. Twice.
Yeah, I was a dumb ass. Wish I had it now. Eric

This one's wicked ... sounds perfectly stock to me!

Rumor has it he was disqualified when they found out his topper door was rigged up as an illegal spoiler ... <G>

Nice truck....

But that's no farm truck !

Now if it was a '53 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 6-cyl and a granny first gear compound low and mud all over a cheap blue paint job.....that would be a farm truck.

Don't forget the welded i-beam bumpers with push bars, eh ...

Bonus points for a pintle hook and a tasteful selection of trailer balls on those, both front and rear ...

In the summer of 69, I worked in a summer camp near Woodstock Va. I thought that since it was almost time for the Woodstock festival in New York, I would stop in Woodstock, Va., which was on my way to the camp. As I approached the town it had a horrible smell that I had never smelled before. I stopped at a pretty spot on the river running through town and I stepped down to the river, which was very murky, and realized that the horrible smell was coming from the river. I left to sign in at the camp where I was going to work. It was on the property of a farm.

One of the jobs the crew, at the camp, was to take care of the compost pile as all the vegetables at the camp were organically grown. The camp foreman would use his truck to go somewhere in the Woodstock vicinity to get chicken shit for the compost pile. The first time that truck pulled into the camp with the load of CS, the stench was terrible and I realized that that was the smell that the river in Woodstock had, The local farmers had been dumping their poultry waste in the river. The truck used by the camp to pick up the manure was a Chevy. A CST to be more specific. From the first delivery on, the CST was know as the Chicken Shit Truck.

wOw ... flashback!

I had a '68 GMC with similar roots ... it'd been used for farm work for many years before I picked it up, and certainly looked it. I got a couple good seasons out of it before the six banger blew up, but fortunately, a kid across the road totalled his Roadrunner about the same time.

?

I got the drive train for next to nothing and wedged that into the truck. Cut the Mopar mounts out of the car and just dropped the motor in, welding it to the truck frame. A Custom by Cobble trannie mount, and cut and welded both driveshafts together. Would you believe it ran great, and even smooth, at highway speeds? With a couple cords of wood in the back? <G>

Kind of a FrankenMobile once the dust settled. I also tore out the stock bench seat and put in the buckets and console from a Bronco, completing the full G M C crossover. G for GM, M for Motocraft, and C for Chrysler ...

Finally lost it when one of the front end king pins broke ... wheel went sideways in the fender, resulting in what some would call a "significant" loss of control. I left a pretty good dent in the inside of the driver's door ... those metal panels are HARD, but not as hard as me! :-}

The moral there ... DO check that front end out closely ... not something you want to ignore if it's got miles on it.

That is my kind of GMC (all of the Big 3 in one truck) GM, Motorcraft, and Chrysler makes my day.

Those are becoming more and more desireable every day. Nice Truck! The engine almost looked like you could eat off of it.

I have a '72 Cheyenne that I am planning to do the "Frame-Off" when I retire in 3 years. I have been buying parts for years! Mostly NOS stuff (still in the original GM packaging). I even have a Wood-Floor bed that I bought from Olympia WA that is rust-free (has more than a few dings, though). I am sort of looking for an old 427 big block to put in it. Right now, it is my old farm truck. Even as rusty as it is, it never fails to get comments whenever I drive it.

My farm truck. 1971 C20 with a STD. bore 1970 LS5 - 454".

Attachments

• Picture0413172132_1.jpg
    Picture0413172132_1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 11
Nice truck. Glad to see you've kept it mostly factory-appearing and avoided the temptation to slam it with airbags, mount 22s with O-ring tires, and install a digital dash and a chrome steering column. They don't make trucks like yours anymore and I want to weep everytime I see one subjected to the indignity of "restomodding".

Back
Top Bottom