Just back from restore Fisher KX-200

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by kcline, Mar 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. kcline

kcline Tube Audio Collector Subscriber

I got this back in 2013 there is a old thread on this I had stated at that time I hope to get to this in 60 days or so Ha Ha so much for that. So I connected this up to my 2nd main system speakers [ see sig. line] and my Oppo using the Balc. connection with a Balc. to RCA cables. Wow great sound,this is the first Fisher integrated amp using 7591 tubes that I have ever had in my system , I have had only Scotts to hear before. I left unit on for over 5 hours power transformer was only warm to the touch so I placed Fisher back in case and moved it to the Tube Room system see the pictures, DSCN2952.JPG DSCN2954.JPG it is still running the 7591,s it came with so in a few weeks I will take out and replace 7591, with newer set and take pictures of the inside which is a site to behold, my good friend who did the restore does a first class job as you will see when I get pictures from underneath

2. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice!! And that pre is no slouch either :thumbsup:

3. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a pair of the Factory built brothers (X-200s). They are indeed pretty sweet.

4. tube-a-lou

tube-a-lou Super Member

I have the same amp they really are great when restored enjoy yours. The only problem I had with mine
    was that it had a very bloated bass line and could not figure it out until I read a thread here were a poster
    only put in .068uf coupling capacitors instead of .1uf's. So I did the same and the difference was great
    it reduced the bass, I guess the KX200 doesn't need the extra zing (I say) from the .1's and .068's are
    enough, but everyone is different and there systems as well, enjoy!

5. kcline

Thanks for comments. I placed it in the system with the 400-C fisher pre. The KX-200 sounds almost as good as the 400-C Heathkit Williamson amp combo. I am going to radio show this week, CC-AWA show so I will not play the KX-200 much until I get back then I will take pictures inside and replace outputs tubes with a better set, so far appox. 15 hrs. on unit, it plays great and is dead silent even with vol. up over half way to play SACD,s all I can hear at the speakers is a very very low tube SSSSS.

6. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Congrats! One of my favorite integrated Fisher amps. They made it easy to bias the output tubes and they are very quiet at idle.. I've been using mine daily for several years and it's still going strong.

7. kcline

Over 20 hrs on amp now still sounding great, I hope this weekend to remove from system and take more pics. and replace at least 1 pair of output tubes with better looking set

8. kcline

Today I connected up turntable and played Phono stage for the first time WOW great sound might be better than Fisher 400-C pre Heathkit combo. Hope to compare this amp to my restored HH Scott 299-C. I have no idea what 12AX7 tubes are even in this amp DSCN2994.JPG

9. tube-a-lou

tube-a-lou Super Member

Wow great looking system, what speakers are those?, and the 200 is a great sounding amp.
    I just went out and purchased a set of Straight Wire cables for the fisher's. sound's great.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. kcline

speakers are JBL model HL-S820 always work well with tube amps

11. kcline

DSCN3008.JPG As of today still burning in amp. Amp sounds so good I have moved fisher 400-c and Heathkit Williamson amps out of tube room system, will let KX-200 stay does make for a more simple system that does sound almost as good as 400-c Williamson combo!! I am very impressed how good this amp sounds phono stage is very good. I still need to change 7591,s in one channel they look crispy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017