Just bought a Yamaha CR2020......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjbq

Bose forum Moderator
Subscriber
But it only plays about 4 minutes then shuts off:tears:
After waiting a few minutes, when turned on, it does the same thing.
Any suggestions, this thing is beautiful, and I would like it work properly.

What are the clues? For example when it shuts off where does the FM meter go? Does it stay centered or swing halfway to the left?

Have you checked the idle current, measure across the first two pins on the power amplifier boards, should be 10 millivolts.

But it only plays about 4 minutes then shuts off:tears:
After waiting a few minutes, when turned on, it does the same thing.
Any suggestions, this thing is beautiful, and I would like it work properly.
What Merrylander said..... 4 minutes doesn't make for much of a listening session!

OK, that must have been a momentary glitz, as it is working fine now for well over an hour:thmbsp:

However, I now have another problem. When using the phono input, I am getting a hummmmm that increases as the vloumne is turned up. :scratch2:
The same TT hooked up to my Sansui has no hum whatsoever.

Suggestions, please?
TIA

Yes, when played thru the Sansui, no hum.
When played thru the 2020, major humm

Flip the AC plug? They were all non-polarized back then. Maybe also try to run the TT ground wire to the Yami.

Flip the AC plug? They were all non-polarized back then. Maybe also try to run the TT ground wire to the Yami.

As are these thoughts, always approach the simple things first. Make sure your ground wire and patch cords from the TT are not crossed over any power cords. This is often a way a 'hum' can be picked up.

That is a great reciever. There is no such thing as a momentary glitch. Something is wrong with that amp and running it could do more harm, and cause more expense. I would get it fully checked out. That is a fine piece. It deserves to be cared for. Properly cared for it could last another generation. If not, it could be one less piece from the golden age of consumer electronics. Someday there will be none.

What happens if the turntable isn't connected to the receiver? Does the phono input still hum?

If so, then I'd suspect a power supply issue in the Yamaha. A dodgy filter cap could cause a hum on the supply rail, and it would probably be most audible through the phono channel because it has an extra gain stage (more amplification).

It's also possible a bad cap could cause weird DC conditions in the output section that could trip the speaker protect circuit. When it went silent after four minutes, did you hear a relay click?

Ok, I disconnected the TT from the 2020, and still have a hum on phono setting, although it is certainly not as loud as when RCAs are plugged in.

Any more suggestions?

Is the hum in both the L and R channels? If it is, then I think that would point again to the power supply since it's common to both.

Also, can you hear the hum in the other inputs if you turn the volume up? Like if you have nothing plugged into the Aux input, it should be virtually hum free even with the volume on 10. If you hear any hum, that's another sign that the supply rail is hummy.

If that's the case, then I would start looking for signs of bad filter caps -- i.e. caps with bulges or spilled guts. Another thing that could cause hum on the rail is a leaky transistor somewhere pulling a bunch of current. You could check for that by getting a schematic and looking at voltages at strategic spots.

Last edited:
What Merrylander said..... 4 minutes doesn't make for much of a listening session!

You could listen to any one Creedence Clearwater song, save Susie Q. ;)

As for the Hum, are you possibly running a MC cartridge on the MM setting or the opposite?

Also, welcome the Yamaha CR-2020 club, I agree with the earlier suggestion that if you are experiencing these weird types of issues, it might be best to take it into the shop. You should be able to sit back and enjoy the beauty of natural sound (bearing the right speakers of course:)).

I wish you nothing but the best with you new baby!

Is the hum in both the L and R channels? If it is, then I think that would point again to the power supply since it's common to both.

Also, can you hear the hum in the other inputs if you turn the volume up? Like if you have nothing plugged into the Aux input, it should be virtually hum free even with the volume on 10. If you hear any hum, that's another sign that the supply rail is hummy.

I changed input selector to AUX, no hummmmm at all at any volume level.
I also plugged my TT, ( Transcriptor Skeleton) into my CR-1040, it hums in phono input as well. Could there be some issue with the Skeleton and Yamaha?
Or do both Yamahas have a problem?
As previously mentioned, no humm with the Sansui.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom