Just curious...

ScooterMcTav

I know less than I think
...as to why my 2 year old Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 are sitting unhooked in the basement, and I’m listening to Beethoven’s 9th SACD on a set of Smaller Advents.

w7JJItw.jpg

And loving it.

Ideas?

Chuckled out loud at that one.

Now moved through Rancid’s “Out Come the Wolves”, and am now listening to Boston’s “Boston” on vinyl. I’m not convinced these are better sounding speakers.

But the sound is certainly much more engaging and emotive. Possibly not as technically competent as the Wharfedales, but much more exciting.

Thinking there's some sort of frequency peak in there somewhere that is stroking the pleasure centre of my brain - possibly the hump under 100Hz.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/smaller-advent-loudspeaker-measurements

The Wharfedales sound nice, but they are unable to elicit that subconscious chills/shivers/goosebumps/emotive reaction that the Advents do. Also like the way cymbals sound on that fried egg tweeter. Possibly the nasty resonant peak they have in the 13kHz range is where the magic happens for my backside-of-40 hearing.

Should mention mine are a later model after they had switched to the orange tweeter from the green ones. Some believe the orange tweeter is more dynamic, while the green is more laid back.

Back
Top Bottom