Just enjoying the tunes.

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
Subscriber
I subscribe to Stereophile and really like to read what is new coming out each month. The only thing is most all of the gear is not affordable for the common guy. That got me to thinking I am glad to have reached a point in this hobby where all three of my systems sound good. Could they sound better sure but at the end of the day I have to ask myself this one question. If I had to live with these systems for the rest of my life could I. That is when I think you find that good spot. I am now able to spend more time listening to my vinyl and also looking for new music to enjoy. I guess most of us spend years trying to find the best we can for what we can afford. When you do find that good spot take some time to really stop and enjoy the music because in the end that is what the hobby is about right. I was wondering have others found that point where you are happy to live with what you have. Or is there always that one more thing.

Congrats :banana:

BTW--- after 25+ years I did not renew my Stereophile subscription. JA's measurements are the best thing they have going for them now. Besides , after about 4-5 weeks the best articles are online to read

It is frustrating when most of the gear is way out of most price range. My buddy said they need to do an article on the best gear from the last 20 years. That way we can know what to look for in used gear. I am sure there are some pieces that are good that we do not know are out there.

At the beginning of 2017 I decided to make major changes to my audio system. Being retired I thought this might be the last time for this kind of thing. I wanted some newer components and some pieces I just wasn't happy with. I now have a new preamp, amplifier, tuner, cd player, power distribution, speakers and cabling. My wallet is much lighter, needless to say.

I thought I would be happy with all this but now I feel the need for more power so I am debating a different power amp. Go figure.

It is frustrating when most of the gear is way out of most price range. My buddy said they need to do an article on the best gear from the last 20 years. That way we can know what to look for in used gear. I am sure there are some pieces that are good that we do not know are out there.
I believe that The Absolute Sound ran a best of past equipment article a few years ago.

If I had to live with these systems for the rest of my life could I. That is when I think you find that good spot. I am now able to spend more time listening to my vinyl and also looking for new music to enjoy. I guess most of us spend years trying to find the best we can for what we can afford. When you do find that good spot take some time to really stop and enjoy the music because in the end that is what the hobby is about right. I was wondering have others found that point where you are happy to live with what you have.

I'v been in that place for over three years now, but the buying of records is pushing me out of the house. When I got my main system built I was happy without the need to change much, so shopping for music took over. Then it wasn't about just owning a record title, but to get the best record made of that title. Quite frankly getting expensive records can start costing more than the system but they improve the sound quality of the system we spent a lot on in the first place.

While the bulk of my system hasn't changed to much, I'll still grab another same table that I like if I see it. Or opportunity buying when something you just happened apon can't be left there and the need to at least try it. But really I don't need more and actually have been thinking about thinning down some even though I like the pieces, you just can't hold on to more than you can use anyway no matter the quality or rarity.

My biggest problem is deciding how much and what to keep and not really up grading as that would be really hard to do at this point.

4-2-7 I agree I may face having to go down to 1 or two systems because really I have one I do not listen to much. It would be hard to decide what to keep. I also agree with you on the record buying. I have been spending more than I need to on that and really not much different than buying gear. LOL I have lots of used albums and then discovered if I purchase new vinyl it does sound much better in my opinion. I have a record cleaner but still the new is mine to keep in good shape from the start of it. I guess this like any other hobby will always cost us some money.

Back
Top Bottom