just found...

t1mmy

hey i've recently moved back into my old house and went digging through my attic. found some pioneer stuff:

Pioneer amp SA-5800
Pioneer TX-6800

are these still usable today as an amp? i have some speakers i wanna power and was wondering if these are still good. if not what should i do with these since i'm at a complete loss. thnx for the tips!

It will partly depend on what the temps and ambiant humidity has been in your attic, but they should be OK.

I'd power up using a "dim bulb tester" which is simply a lightbulb in series with the power cord, (start with 40W or so and go up) to avoid blowing out capacitors.

The controls might be scratchy, but a cleaner called DeOxit will cure these very well.

After initial powerup I'd measure the DC offset of the speaker outputs. EchoWars has a thread posted with all the deatails on how to do this, but basically:

Use a DVOM to maesre the DC on the speaker pairs.

Set to AUX, Vol all the way down, power up and measure at say 20V setting then 2, then the lowest. If its below 50 mv (.050V) your in spec, the lower the better.

I'd also take the covers off and blow all the dust out of the innards.

Nice find and welcome to AK! :thmbsp:

What you've got there is a nice little integrated amp/tuner setup! I'll have to agree with OL and won't repeat what he said, just emphasize it. Great find, the bug has bitten you... prepare to do a lotta scratchin!

Back
Top Bottom