Just getting started

einstein812

Hey all, I'm psyched to be a new member and can't wait to collaborate.

I just recently got into vintage equipment and got lucky with some recent finds. The Marantz 4230 has some scratchy pots but plays nice. The 4240 needs a Deoxit job really bad and so does the beast (Sansui QRX-5500) I just got for free.

I was hoping someone in the group would have a list of the caps needed to do a recap of the 3 receivers mentioned above. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
6bSJ9yj.jpg

nIhevj8.jpg

6bSJ9yj
nIhevj8

Welcome! I don't know what your skills are like with diagnosing and repairing electrical equipment, but if you're really new to vintage stereo equipment I'd be very wary about trying to tackle a recap unless you really, really know what you're doing. You could easily make things worse, and make it more difficult for a knowledgable tech to fix any mistakes. Just a word of warning.

On the other hand, any knucklehead such as myself can figure out how to fix scratchy pots with deoxit:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/

Welcome! I don't know what your skills are like with diagnosing and repairing electrical equipment, but if you're really new to vintage stereo equipment I'd be very wary about trying to tackle a recap unless you really, really know what you're doing. You could easily make things worse, and make it more difficult for a knowledgable tech to fix any mistakes. Just a word of warning.

On the other hand, any knucklehead such as myself can figure out how to fix scratchy pots with deoxit:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/the-idiots-guide-to-using-deoxit-revisited.207005/
Thanks...I've had a ton of circuit board repair and soldering over the years and worked on everything from calculators to arcade machines and don't feel swapping pots would be too challenging. I have the schems and could start inventorying by board and focus on the main electrolytic caps as they seem to dry up and leak the most. I agree when it comes to fixing scratchy pots and not concerned with using Deoxit. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom