Just got a Dual 1015 but .......Now it has SME head shell :)

Nashou66

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
its missing the head shell sled lock.

So Dual experts. Whats my best option? I searched Barter town and nothing comes up for just the arm lift/Locking mechanism.

Is it repairable? Is there some parts site that sells them?

Nashou

You might have to buy another 1215 for parts or maybe notransistors will be along with a better suggestion.

Well, it does look like the 1009/1019 have the same clip and finger lift. But I have no spares. There have been spares on ebay. Be aware that when you begin a search, ebay defaults to 'vintage turntables or some such garbage and you must change to 'all categories' and then hit search again. Be happy you do not need the part for the arm with the coin-slot that releases the headshell.

There are some arms out there I could take parts from.

But I might try something different. :idea:

I was thinking of converting the head shell to an SME style for straight tonearms using a Denon DP-300F head shell . Not sure if the angle is the same. But even so if you use a protractor you could adjust the cartridge
to align to the protractor fairly easy.

This might be the table to try it on since I only have 20 dollars invested in it right now. :D

Was thinking of this Denon head shell. I wish there was a source for the bayonet sockets or collars or what ever they are called.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the tone arm length is for the 1015? Or more importantly the pivot point to needle tip length ?

I wasnt able to get a measurement since the original head shell was all messed up. I need to see how much of the arm needs to be cut off to fit the
SME bayonet.

Nashou

You could try the organ donar parts site. It’s for used turntable parts.

The thing is I want to make it an SME style mod. Just want to get the proper alignment . The Denon head shell has some room for adjustment. I just want it to be in the middle of that range.

nashou

I'd use rubber bands, mini-cable ties, or blutac for testing purposes until I had the proper sled latch assembly, but that's just me. ;)

I have a 1019 i could measure but not sure if that distance is the same , the tonearms are a little different.

Nashou

My 1019 is about 200mm from pivot to stylus tip. Mocked it up on the 1015 and swung the arm out over the platter and it looks about right.
So i'll cut about 1/2" off the end of the arm and fit the SME collar to it.

nashou

Cut off the end of the arm and slid the collar in to see how it looks.

44792361175_a3e683b9df_h.jpg

44792361085_a71a93783d_h.jpg

31834303478_3f556ee889_h.jpg

Next is to wire it up. Haven't looked at that part yet., How does it go down through the pivot?

Nashou

Very interesting idea. Dual's 10XX sled method has always been such a PIA that requires constant cleaning of contacts and is such a sloppy way of mounting a cartridge as plastic parts wear out over time and alignment changes resulting in hum and miss tracking . Hope this works well.

OK, inquiring minds want to know...where did you get the parts? Not the headshell, that's easy, but the locking collar and the contacts to go with it.
Also, you might as well rewire the arm while you're at it. I think there's a thread here at AK with pictures, showing how to rewire the Dual tonearm.

OK, inquiring minds want to know...where did you get the parts? Not the headshell, that's easy, but the locking collar and the contacts to go with it.
Also, you might as well rewire the arm while you're at it. I think there's a thread here at AK with pictures, showing how to rewire the Dual tonearm.

Just buy any of the hundreds of tonearms on E-bay with an SME Bayonet/Collar and use that. I think this one was from a Sony.
The wires and contacts are all there usually connected tot he collar . On mine the wires are in the tonearm all bunched up till i figure out how to get them
through all the way. Not sure if they are long enough so I may need to get new wires. Might use some from 1877. Used them fro my AR XA and they work nicely there.

nashou

Just buy any of the hundreds of tonearms on E-bay with an SME Bayonet/Collar and use that. I think this one was from a Sony.
The wires and contacts are all there usually connected tot he collar . On mine the wires are in the tonearm all bunched up till i figure out how to get them
through all the way. Not sure if they are long enough so I may need to get new wires. Might use some from 1877. Used them fro my AR XA and they work nicely there.

nashou
Wires from a PC mouse cable are supposed to be excellent. They're even in the right colors.

So I am starting to wire up the arm.

I also measured the length of arm I needed to remove for the new bayonet, it was 19 mm.

Also I found the remaining 5Litz wire from my AR XA project. its more than enough for the 1015 arm.

30781272567_777975d8da_b.jpg

Here it is soldered to the clips, but what do I do with the 5th wire, the GND. Do I solder it to one of the signal earth wires on this end and
attach it to the arm tube at the other end?

45722578991_ca665739d7_b.jpg

Athanasios

Back
Top Bottom