Just got an SX-1250

soundmotor

super modified
A coworker gave me an SX-1250 that had been sitting for a decade or more unused. Before he gave it to me, he decided to check it out. He plugged it in, turned it on and let the smoke out of several somethings. I took the top off but could not see anything obvious. I'd guess something let loose on the PS when the filter caps charged up. Anything else I should be looking for?

That power supply seems to be the source for most problems on these. I picked up a non working unit a few months ago, and all the problems were on that board. IMHO you should check all the components on that board.
AK's rstsgsas is an expert on that model, and probably could rebuild those power supply boards with his eyes closed. I started out replacing the caps on it, and the diodes. When I powered it up, some functions worked, but others were still dead. I finally got "real" and checked everything. Found 3 transistors, a few reisitors, and even blew some diodes which I had just replaced. Bottom line though, when I got the board right, problem was solved...I use it everyday :thmbsp:

Where did the smoke come from.

If there was alot of smoke it was probably not just the regulator board.If it has a lot of dust in it .That could be where the smoke came from.Here is what I do.Remove the top and bottom covers.Unplug the amplifier boards plugs from top and bottom.Left and right.Now turn it on and listen for the protection relay to engage.If it does not engage ,the regulator board will need rebuilding before you can continue.If it does engage,then plug one amplifier board top and bottom in and try it again.Do both channels (boards).If one channel prevents the protection from engaging ,You know what board to start with.I personally replace every capacitor in all four boards between the big heat sinks,diodes on the regulator board and caps on the power supply board on the bottom.It makes a very reliable unit.Definetly worth spending some money on.Best tuner in a reciever I have ever heaed,IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom