Just got Grado SR-325i headphones. Thoughts and some questions.

Mr. Lin

Lunatic Member
Brief history of my experience with good headphones (and it's really brief because I have practically none): Last summer I bought a pair of Grado SR-60s after reading such positive reactions from people and because of the low price. These were the first quality headphones I'd heard, in the past I listened to my Walkman, ipod, etc with budget $15 junk. Until recently I didn't really use them much. Now I added the Grado RA-1 headphone amp and have started to really enjoy the SR-60s. Plus I kept them plugged and with music on 12+ hours a day for about 5 days, and that seemed to help.

Here are the various sources I'm using with the headphones/amp:

Rega Planet CDP (slightly older model)

Nakamichi BX-100 cassette deck

Both of the turntables in my signature, though I've been playing with my older Pro-Ject Tube Box phono preamp for fun.

All interconnects I use are high-quality, the likes of Kimber, XLO, etc.

Back to the headphones. Of course, having a headphone amp made me want to experiment with something higher up the Grado line, and after some deliberation I decided to just shell out the money for the 325i.

They got here today, and I let them 'burn in' for about 4 hours before listening to them.

I was surprised to find them quite comfortable after reading so many complaints about comfort with Grado headphones, and also because when I took them out of the box and briefly tried them on, I thought the design was strange and would probably be pretty uncomfortable. But I'm wearing them right now and so far I find them more comfortable than the Sr-60s.

I'm impressed with the build quality. Real leather! I don't typically like gold but this is a softer gold and I happen to think they look quite nice.

As I type this I've only been listening for about 45 minutes, but so far I'm happy with what I hear. I was really concerned about the complaints that these are too bright, so I figured the first thing I would do is play "Open" from The Cures' Wish album, which has lots of layered effects-laden guitars. While I did notice a bit more sibilance than usual on the vocals, the higher frequencies were hardly "piercing," as so many have described it.

What I enjoyed right away is the same quality for which I adore Grado's phono cartridges: imaging; the sense of depth and arrangement of instruments, and the way each instrument has it's own air around it, and can be more distinctly heard than with lesser equipment. [I happen to think that's a big part of what people are hearing when they talk about the great midrange of Grado; it's not that the midrange is actually louder or particularly pronounced, but you can hear everything that's going own more clearly due to the strong imaging characteristics].

My only complaint so far is that the bass seems to be a little lacking, which surprised me. However, the biggest difference in the SR-60s after I let break in was in the bass, which was louder and just better overall.

If anyone has these, what kind of break-in period do they require to really open up? What changes after that?

Any other thoughts or comments you'd like to add to this would be nice. Picture below.

Dave

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new Grados, Dave! The 325i is an improvement (to my ears, of course) over the much brighter sounding, original 325, which came originally in a black finish but quickly moved to a silver color. The newer, golden 325i has a touch of warmth that seemed to elude the overly analytical original.
In any case, you asked about the bass. From my experience, besides break-in, the pads you're using have a lot to do with bass performance. When they are new and stiff, the bowl pads are further from your ears and the lower frequencies suffer a bit. As the pads soften up with use, the drivers move closer to your ears and the bass and overall warmth increase. Many Grado users prefer the flat pads that came with the Grados originally over what they claim is a bowl pad brightness.
If you want to soften them up quickly, you can wash them in warm water and mild dish detergent, then let them dry. They will also become more comfortable.
Good luck and enjoy! :D

They don't really lack bass,It's just not bumped up like the 60's and 80's.What you will notice is with in less then 100 hours of break in what seems like tight bass will get even better in this way.It will define between a bass gutare and a bass violin or organ.It will give you differant layers of bass.That is the true majic of these phones.do a search and you will find what I said after breaking mine in.search threads by Goraman.

good idea Joe just washed mine in warm palmolive and rinsed in warm water till the bubbles stoped and blotted them and although they are damp they are softer and they smell nice too.
Look at my wifes handy work,she took some thin black soft doe leather and some velcro and some 1/4 inch foam and made this cool headphone pad for me because I am nearly bald and I complained they where uncomfortable.
pics are without pads as they are drying as we speak.

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new Grados, Dave! The 325i is an improvement (to my ears, of course) over the much brighter sounding, original 325, which came originally in a black finish but quickly moved to a silver color. The newer, golden 325i has a touch of warmth that seemed to elude the overly analytical original.
In any case, you asked about the bass. From my experience, besides break-in, the pads you're using have a lot to do with bass performance. When they are new and stiff, the bowl pads are further from your ears and the lower frequencies suffer a bit. As the pads soften up with use, the drivers move closer to your ears and the bass and overall warmth increase. Many Grado users prefer the flat pads that came with the Grados originally over what they claim is a bowl pad brightness.
If you want to soften them up quickly, you can wash them in warm water and mild dish detergent, then let them dry. They will also become more comfortable.
Good luck and enjoy! :D

Thanks! As far as comfort goes I like the bowl pads a lot more than the ones my SR-60s have. The flat ones make my ears really hot, and they get itchy.

Thanks for your input and the pictures goraman. Even so early in the break-in process I'm really impressed by the depth these headphones have. Still listening, after tonight they'll have about 20 hours on them...

It gets much better I promise you,take notes now and listen agein after 200 hours and compair notes.use the same sorce and music in your notes.another good peice of wisdom is to clean your ears with murine ear wash before listening.one treatment to your ears is like spending thousends more on gear.If your ears are dirty inside you can't be a good judge.

It gets much better I promise you,take notes now and listen agein after 200 hours and compair notes.use the same sorce and music in your notes.another good peice of wisdom is to clean your ears with murine ear wash before listening.one treatment to your ears is like spending thousends more on gear.If your ears are dirty inside you can't be a good judge.

Hmm, I never even thought of that. I believe they'll get better, but I'm very happy with them now. As good as the SR-60s are, I always knew I was listening to headphones. I had hoped the 325i would 'disappear' and they really do, I sort of forget that I'm wearing them. :music:

I was not always a good listener,It takes time and a good teacher to learn the ins and outs of critical listening.someone who has done it for years can tell you with in a 1/2 octive if vocals are being colored or not,and they will spend countless hours changeing componates and cables to locate the point of colorization.don't get me wrong sometimes a little colorization is acceptable if it means better presentaion or bass,it is all give and take but a good listener knows whats being given up and for what benifit if any.and remember details arent just found from 1khz to 25khz they can be found in very low bass too if your system and sorce material is worthy,you just have to learn to hear the differance and seperate a bass violin from a bass gutar and drums,and hearing fingers on a bass is harder than hearing a drum stick on a splash cymbel but with the right sorce and gear you can if your listening for it.

I bet "From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea" sounds amazing.

I actually didn't get to that one because there were so many CDs I wanted to test out and so little time. I just listened to "Open," "High," and "Doing the Unstuck." But I'll get to that later.

Goraman I'm actually a relative newcomer to the audio hi-fi scene, but I've learned a lot in a short amount of time, thanks in no small part to this site. Also, I have really sensitive ears, and I can hear differences between all these components, I guess that's a big reason why I enjoy it so much.

Thanks! As far as comfort goes I like the bowl pads a lot more than the ones my SR-60s have. The flat ones make my ears really hot, and they get itchy.

Thanks for your input and the pictures goraman. Even so early in the break-in process I'm really impressed by the depth these headphones have. Still listening, after tonight they'll have about 20 hours on them...
The pads on the sr60 are not the "true" flat pads. New flat pads can be had for $30 from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, and 3 things will shock you in comparison to the bowl pads:
1) FAR less bright
2) FAR more bass
3) smaller soundstage
Yes, the pads make a HUGE difference. I'm one who can't listen to Grados with new-ish bowl pads more than say, 2 minutes before listening fatigue sets in hard. I prefer darker headphones. One thing you must try, to get a feel for the flat pad sound without going all the way, and without shelling out $30 - reverse the bowl pads. That's right, take them off, flip them to the other side, and coerce them over the headphone cups (not a perfect fit, but they should stay on by themselves if you do it right). The flat part of the pad should stick just a few mm's past the plastic lip of the cups. Actually, using reverse bowls was pretty much to the best sound I've gotten out of a John Grado, for my preferences. If you don't like what the reverse bowls do to the sound, you'll hate the flats. If you like the reverse trick, you might like flats, or you might not :)

I've heard the 325i with vwap pads (similar to reversed bowls), they had a good balance, and I liked them as much as any recent John Grado I've heard (including $500 RS2 & $700 RS1).

Joelongwood has it right,bass got deeper and the pads got way softer and even fit the ear better after a mild warm wash.I just got a chance to listen to them since takeing his advise.

The pads on the sr60 are not the "true" flat pads. New flat pads can be had for $30 from Todd The Vinyl Junkie, and 3 things will shock you in comparison to the bowl pads:
1) FAR less bright
2) FAR more bass
3) smaller soundstage

Why would I want a smaller soundstage?

The pads on the sr60 are not the "true" flat pads. New flat pads can be had for $30 from Todd The Vinyl Junkie <snip> Yes, the pads make a HUGE difference.

I am in complete agreement with mulveling. I wouldn't use anything on my RS-1 except flats from TTVJ.

I use something a little cheaper on my SR-325 though. You can get a pair of replacement pads for the Sennheiser HD-414 for about 4 or 5 bucks (at least they were last time I bought them) at Sennheiser's web site. They are extremely comfortable and sound great. The bright yellow color takes some getting used to however.:music:

Well, I don't find them particularly bright, although I do feel the bass is a bit lacking. I have to say I just tried flipping the pads over and thought it actually sounded a lot worse, so I guess it's just a matter of personal taste. I heard a lot less bass strangely enough, and the sound was flat and dull.

it is a very small los in sound stage but the deeper ritcher overall tone is worth the slightly less atherial sound stage,It dosen't dissapear but it is not as wide as before but still very acceptable by any standerd and in my oppinon well worth the bass and supriseingly added focuas on the midrange.

It's something I'll probably try out in the future, but for now I'm pretty satisfied with the way they sound. I trust there will be a little more bass after break-in, and I also trust the design capabilities of Grado Labs, so that's why I'm going to give these pads a chance.

Interestingly, tonight when I switched over to my cassette deck for a while there was a lot more bass, so this may be more of an issue with the source than the headphones. Cassettes sound better than ever with the 325i.

Anybody know of a source for the 325i's here on Long Island?

Thought I would treat my wife for mother's day.

Get Brian at Veinus hifi he is in Michagan not to far but as an AK member you will get a 30% discount.

Back
Top Bottom