Just got me a Yamaha CR-1020 but.........

lha1992

Kenwood Collector
Well, I just got this Yamaha CR-1020 from these really nice people down in Renton. Came in and saw this really nice looking Yami receiver. Really nice condition, needs a little cleaning on the face and I'm gonna put some laquer or wood oil or something to freshen up the wood. They gave it to me for $50.

Now for the bad, then man said that the receiver only played in the right channel and nothing in the left. He also said that the power switch would not let the receiver power down at all. So I got it home plugged it in to a surge protector (since the power switch doesn't work) and powered it up that way, and then I got some test speakers, hooked them up and got music! In both channels, but it really needs a deoxit bath because the left channel drops out.

And also, for some reason the WPC meters don't work, but when I push the button for the tuner signal it works? So, if any of you could help me get this thing going would be great?

Thanks

Here are some pics of the receiver:
http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/lha1992/?action=view&current=SANY0067.jpg
http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/lha1992/?action=view&current=SANY0066.jpg
http://s840.photobucket.com/albums/zz323/lha1992/?action=view&current=SANY0065.jpg

Last edited:
Don't forget the coupler switch in the rear..Notorious for causing channel drops.

I won't, but I did check that and turn in back and forth before I powered the receiver up.

Would you know of anything to do about the power switch? Also, what about the bias and offset adjustment?

Last edited:
Thanks avionic for helping me with this. Also, do you know anything about this service bulletin that CR-1020s were supposed to have?

And thanks for letting me know about merrylander maybe having a power switch.

Do you have deoxit? If you want to bring it down with the Minimus 7Ws that you need to give me back, feel free.

I recently picked up a CR-1020 with the same issue.

The controls were very dirty, but after cleaning them, the left channel would still drop.

It turned out to be the relay.

Pop the receiver out of the case and tap or wiggle the relay while it's playing.

Rob

I recently picked up a CR-1020 with the same issue.

The controls were very dirty, but after cleaning them, the left channel would still drop.

It turned out to be the relay.

Pop the receiver out of the case and tap or wiggle the relay while it's playing.

Rob

Okay, I'll try that because I don't hear any static in the controls. Did you replace the relay?

Many of the Yamaha receivers' Right channel meter turns into a signal strength meter for the tuner when you touch the tuning knob... You might want to review the owner's guide available in the AK Yamaha database to become familiar with the controls.

Okay, I'll try that because I don't hear any static in the controls. Did you replace the relay?

I could not find an exact replacement (didn't look too hard) so I cleaned it.

I removed it and gently cleaned the contacts. I had to adjust them as well.

It may get replaced someday if it acts up.:yes:

Rob

Okay, so I turn the receiver over upside down to take it out of the case and I accidently pushed it out without turning right side up. Do you think I did any harm to it or not? I looked and it didn't look like anything was wrong inside.

And also, how do you take the knobs off like the input knob or the speaker selector knob? With a allen key? And does the balance knob pull right off?

Last edited:
If you damaged anything it would be the tuning string. Just double check to make sure you didn't snag it.

Do you put your Neg. cable on TPO or on TP1 to adjust the idle current?

Edit: I figured it out. You put the Neg. on TP1.

The left channel comes back as -10.3mV and the right as -9.6mV. but I'll adjust them tomorrow, I'm real tired.

Last edited:
You will need a 1.5mm Allen key (a long one) to remove the selector knobs and the tuning knob. For the tuning knob there are two set screws, look in from the right side.

Beside the tuning knob is a Muting switch and it has been known to cause channel drop out, tricky getting the red tube over those tiny holes in the brown plastic but they can be cleaned,

AFAIK there was no service bulletin for the 1020 as there was for the 2020. I just change out the fusistors as a matter of choice. In any case for the 1020 the D234 transistors are more than adequate.

Not sure if I have a power switch, I'll look. Fortunately these power switches were built on a DPDT design, meaning that there are contacts at both ends of the moving part. I simply take them apart clean them and reverse the moving contact and the switch is then like new.

PS: When you go to put it back in the case tune the dial to 108 or you will damage the dial cord.

I just checked and I have several push-push Yammie switches and even a couple of lever type but they are from CR-n00 series and the lever arm will not fit the CR-n20 series plastic knob. All is not lost because if you get the switch out where you can work on it you can see that the lever part is held to the plastic with four 'ears'. Bend those straight and you can carefully pull off the lever part. I say carefully because the operating mechanism is a pair of tiny spring loaded pins. The moving contact is likely 'welded' to the fixed contact but should pop loose. Clean everything up and reverse the moving contacts. Getting the lever on is a bit finnicky but can be done.

Last edited:
I just checked and I have several push-push Yammie switches and even a couple of lever type but they are from CR-n00 series and the lever arm will not fit the CR-n20 series plastic knob. All is not lost because if you get the switch out where you can work on it you can see that the lever part is held to the plastic with four 'ears'. Bend those straight and you can carefully pull off the lever part. I say carefully because the operating mechanism is a pair of tiny spring loaded pins. The moving contact is likely 'welded' to the fixed contact but should pop loose. Clean everything up and reverse the moving contacts. Getting the lever on is a bit finnicky but can be done.

Thanks for looking for me a switch Merrylander. Looks like I got the switch to work again some how some way? At first you could not hear the click of the wipers in the switch when you turned the switch to the off position but I guess after I tried to take the face off to clean it (which I couldn't get the face off because of those pushbutton switches were still glued on to the face and the 3 LED lights) I must of did something to make it work again? IDK at least it works now, but i'm gonna keep the receiver on its own surge protector just in case.

I really think this receiver has never ever been opened up in its life. All the screws didn't have marks on them or anything and they were really tight in there like they would come from the factory.

Back
Top Bottom