Just got my keeper integrated

mattsd

Just picked up this beauty:

RVBEPDp.jpg

yEso66A.jpg

A little dusty and dirty and still has all the original black flag caps in it (eww), but it is working and all the outputs are original, and for 3 C-notes I wasn't about to complain. :banana: Needless to say, I'm not going to be doing much with it until I give it a full restoration and get those black caps out of there. I can't wait to play it though, I've heard a lot of good things about how this amp sounds. :thumbsup:

Matt- you will love it once you have gone through it! I've had a couple of them with another one on the way and they are excellent. I'm currently playing it's bigger brother- the X1 (restored) as I type this response. Hope all is well. Cliff

Heh, I'll always have a place for Pioneer. I own a 1980 after all. :biggrin: However, I've always liked the look and sound of Sansui. I own a G-9000, but I've been wanting to try one of the top end integrated amps from them and finally found one. I'll be posting a restoration thread on it.

At first you may wonder about the absence of a loudness circuit, give it a few hours of serious listening time and be prepared to be surprised, mine runs almost dead flat through hpm 100's with one click of treble for aging hearing. Take a look at Leestereo's ideas on changing back to back polarized for non polarized electro's, the use of Wima caps for low values etc etc. Nice to see you posting over here in the Sansui forum sir but shhhh don't tell the Pioneer folks, they can get soooo jealous of all the fun we have listening and upgrading our Sansui gear rather than repairing it lol.
-Lee

LOL. I won't, I promise. :p As far as the absence of a loudness circuit goes, that's perfect, I like reference listening. My 1980 is my fun system and my SPEC stuff now that it's recapped and improved (changing signal path caps to polypropylene, improving the power supply etc) is my reference right now. I'm about a third of the way done on the 919 cap list already, and I have been referencing @Leestereo 's thread pretty heavily along with adding some of my own changes.

For those that don't recognize Mattsd, he is a top restorer of all things Pioneer (and about anything else he can get his hands on for that matter) and I for one pleased to have him stop by the Sansui group.

Well, got the cap list done. $150 bucks in parts, and that doesn't include the filter caps. :eek: However, I'm changing a lot of the mylar caps in it to polypropylene where appropriate, so that adds up. When I can get a empty place on the bench, I'll be starting on this thing. Also, once I start on the amp I'll make sure I didn't leave anything out in the list and post it in the restoration thread.

Just to update this, it turns out that the same guy I got the amp from also had the matching tuner! 2 C-notes later and it is mine! The top cover is a little rough and there is a scratch on the dial plastic, but the faceplate is in pretty good shape other than that. I've almost got a spot opened on the bench as well, so the AU-919 restoration will commence shortly.

PLYZTKn.jpg

It's great that you got the matching 919 tuner. I have the 517 tuner. May I suggest that you use WIMA caps in that amp? The electrolytics however is a different story. Those big oval caps may pass inspection tests. You may not need to do anything with them.

It's great that you got the matching 919 tuner. I have the 517 tuner. May I suggest that you use WIMA caps in that amp? The electrolytics however is a different story. Those big oval caps may pass inspection tests. You may not need to do anything with them.

Don't worry, there will be a lot of Wimas. I'll be testing the filter caps, but I'm fully prepared to replace (restuff) them if needed.

Hey MATT, I won't tell your Mom or MTF you went to the "DARK" side, if you restore my 2000X. :biggrin::biggrin:
3-C notes for a 919? Who the hell did you bribe???

Larry

Back
Top Bottom