Just in case, Sansui x0x0 owners did not already know this.

freQ(*)Oddio

The x0x0 models, or at least mine , have a exquisite, and clean, incredibly wide sounding phono stage, you may not realize it until you have to go away from it for a while, I kinda found this out by mistake, and compared it to others, and to another brand TOTL receiver that I really like, also against a well regarded outboard budget phono pre, maybe im wrong, if you haven't done this ,compare for yourself, you should be delighted to know you have chosen a great vinyl loving receiver.

Last edited:
Interesting... What did you compare it to? I always thought the phono stage is the weak spot. Both my 9090DB and none DB phono stages are "audiophile" grade recapped but I think they sound just "all right". Pretty average actually. They may do fine in comparison with the modern budget phono pre-amps like the CA Azur and the likes but I think they lack in detail and not as silky as should be. Anyway... My favorite built-in MM/MC phono stage, comes attached to a Luxman L-430. I can't go back to the Sui after that. I normally use a Pass DIY PEARL II and can't go back to the Lux after that either. The 9090DB has a dual entry MM phono stage. Very cool for A/B testing though!

Interesting... What did you compare it to? I always thought the phono stage is the weak spot. Both my 9090DB and none DB phono stages are "audiophile" grade recapped but I think they sound just "all right". Pretty average actually. They may do fine in comparison with the modern budget phono pre-amps like the CA Azur and the likes but I think they lack in detail and not as silky as should be. Anyway... My favorite built-in MM/MC phono stage, comes attached to a Luxman L-430. I can't go back to the Sui after that. I normally use a Pass DIY PEARL II and can't go back to the Lux after that either. The 9090DB has a dual entry MM phono stage. Very cool for A/B testing though!
sorry guess i could of been more clear lol , i was comparing to the craze now to buy a 100-$200 phono preamp for a improvement, ive done it and strangly the sui just has some magic, a luxman and pearl im sure are better sounding. but a $200 pre , or other receiver , i dont think can compete with a 9090db. I am not listing brands, ive had them in, loved them all , just a opinion based on much switching and listening, and was obvious to me i wanted the sui complexity? in the end.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom