Just Joined the Marantz Club...

JJCalvillo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
not in an especially powerful way, but the new 2215B is nice anyway.

Of course, there are a couple of problems.

One channel is louder than the other so:
• Vacuumed and dusted the interior.
• Cleaned/lubed the pots and the balance slider but no joy.
• Cleaned the speaker connectors on the inside and out. They looked normal.
• Tried the speakers on the Remote/Speaker B setting and the right channel is still lite.
• Looked at the boards and didn't see anything that was discolored or burnt.
• FM Muting doesn't work.

I suspect the balance slider is funky despite the clean and lube.

• If I move the balance slider 2/3 of the way to the right, the speakers balance.
• At the center setting nothing is coming out of the right channel, and moving it left of center does nothing.

Being pretty inexperienced, I would guess that either the balance slider needs replacement/repair or there a problem getting power to the right channel.

How should I proceed? How/where would I test power to see whether this is an amp problem? How would I test the balance slider, which I suspect?

Been listening to the Stereo on a couple of different stations and it sounds good. Surprised it doesn't sound at all wimpy bass-wise. Good Signal. Not running hot. Phono has the same balance issue, but otherwise worked fine.

Second photo shows where the balance slider has to be to get close to equal balance.

Attachments

• Balance.JPG
    Balance.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Baby2.JPG
    Baby2.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
How should I proceed? How/where would I test power to see whether this is an amp problem? How would I test the balance slider, which I suspect?
Go to HFE and DL the manuals.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/2215.shtml

Then when you learn enough to know get some minigrabber clips that work with the voltmeter you will use and check to see if the signal in the preamp is equal on each side. This is done with the unit on, remember, no user servicable parts inside so if you aren't comfortable, take it in for service. This is done with the unit on so without minigrabber clips on the meter leads one slip and you are in for a dead unit looking for a lot more help.

The signal going in could be a tone generator, phones can use an app, a signal generator or other constant volume (so you can compare the two channel levels).

We don't know where you are on the working on electronics ability scale so I'm just gonna stop there.

I had a 1030 that was light on the right and it was nearly gone, turned out to be a corroded lead on a cap, I believe, as we did everything before a recap and didn't find the problem but when I heated the first leg of a cap and it came out leaving its other leg soldered to the board we had our suspicions as to the issue.

Blue Shadow, muchas gracias.

I'm a total NOOB on the WOEAS. Would like to fix this anyway. Will download the manuals.

A question I didn't ask but came to mind when I was looking at the innards yesterday. I checked to see if any of the caps were bulging or otherwise funky and didn't see anything like that, but they all seem to be very tight to the boards with feet not visible. Do you have a method/process to check components on a board?

cap check...Not really, but you can rock them just a bit and if they move a lot...
the small electrolytic caps will only want to move for example, left and right but not up and down because of the leads in line up and down. So if one moves three ways.
Some may show signs of green corrosion on the legs but you can't see the legs
The brown glop around some caps is glue not leaking caps.
But now that you are in the unit trying this, I don't think it is the first thing to check.
Might recommend that you ask the mods (report link in your first thread) to move to Marantz or to start a new thread there about the repair in the title and leave this one for folks to congratulate you for your new to you Marantz. The specific forums are generally better for more directed repair help which AK is good at providing.

Congrats on your new Marantz.
Looks great!
Hope you are able to sort-it-out.
What speakers are you using with it?

Right now it's pushing Paradigm Titans. Only because those were the ones I'd be less sad about blowing up.

Where are you in Motown? Graduate of Ferndale H.S. & MSU here.

cap check...Not really, but you can rock them just a bit and if they move a lot...
the small electrolytic caps will only want to move for example, left and right but not up and down because of the leads in line up and down. So if one moves three ways.
Some may show signs of green corrosion on the legs but you can't see the legs
The brown glop around some caps is glue not leaking caps.
But now that you are in the unit trying this, I don't think it is the first thing to check.
Might recommend that you ask the mods (report link in your first thread) to move to Marantz or to start a new thread there about the repair in the title and leave this one for folks to congratulate you for your new to you Marantz. The specific forums are generally better for more directed repair help which AK is good at providing.

I saw some brown but no green. Seem to remember some caps moving a little easier than others.

Started this thread because there wasn't much response in Marantz. More here, thank you again.

Right now it's pushing Paradigm Titans. Only because those were the ones I'd be less sad about blowing up.

Where are you in Motown? Graduate of Ferndale H.S. & MSU here.

I live in Troy.
Been here quite awhile.

When did you leave Ferndale?
It has went through a lot of changes in the last 10 years.
It pretty much is the center of activity in the metro area.
There’s a record shop I go to off of 9mile.

I suspect the balance slider is funky despite the clean and lube.

You may have to disassemble that slider if it is indeed the cause and manually clean, then retension the little contacts so they apply some pressure on the tracks. These sliders do not take well to using normal cleaners or lubes (it seems to make them worse), the only thing that is kind enough on them is faderlube.

I had a 1030 that was light on the right and it was nearly gone, turned out to be a corroded lead on a cap, I believe, as we did everything before a recap and didn't find the problem but when I heated the first leg of a cap and it came out leaving its other leg soldered to the board we had our suspicions as to the issue.

I have experienced the same thing here with Marantz's, that factory glue eats things alive.

I watched a video a couple weeks ago, I think it might have been about an NAD unit.
Anyways, the glue used around some components sometimes became hard and conductive with age.
Removing that hardened glue fixed a couple problems.

Added---Had it saved in my bookmarks, it was an NAD but may or may not be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom