Just joining...

rroobbcc

... and since it seems to be protocol I wanted to introduce myself. I am a longtime audiophile who's passion for high-end audio goes back to my junior year of high school ('85-86). That x-mas I scrapped together all of my pennies as well as b-day and x-mas money and bought my first stereo components, a Kenwood integrated amp and tuner, from a pawn shop. Just over two years later I added a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10b speakers and a Kenwood CD player. Over the next few years equipment from Carver (and a few Sony ES pieces) would replace the Kenwood gear, and the 10b's would be replaced with Polk Audio SDA1c's and eventually Infinity 9 Kappas, which I still own today after 17 years.

Soon the responsibilities of being a husband and father left little room in the budget for hi-fi. I wouldn't make another purchase until 2001 when I lost two of three Carver amps inside of a few months, and they were replaced with an Adcom GFA-5802 (the only piece of equipment for which I have ever paid MSRP). The third Carver died just over a year later.

Jump ahead to 2007... just over a year ago after finally deciding to settle in one place (I have moved transatlantic six times), my wife and I purchased our first home in the US. After years of tolerating the 9 Kappas she finally banished them from the living room and into my small office. However, after years on the sidelines it is now time to once again enter the game. Our home has an unfinished basement, which we are just starting a long project to finish. The highlight (for me) will be a 21' by 17' listening room with 9' ceilings, which will secondarily function as a home theater. Since I am starting from the raw framing I will be able to construct the room with all manner of sonic treatments. Perhaps I will post a thread covering my progress on the project.

Of course such a project will mandate some additional audio (and video) equipment. I will need a small system for my office, and another for my wife to use in the living room, not to mention all of the A/V gear for the theater system. I also want to make some improvements in the most important system, my main 2-channel audio system. I plan to re-use all of my existing gear in one place or another. The list of existing gear includes...

Adcom GFA-5802 Power Amplifier
Carver CT-7 Preamplifier (I have two of these)
Carver TL-3220 CD Player
Infinity 9 Kappa Speakers
Sony DTC-75ES DAT Deck
Sony TC-K850ES Cassette Deck

Polk Audio Monitor 5jr+ Speakers (I gave these to my brother years ago, and he just gave them back)

I am planning to source most of the "new" gear from the used equipment market. My heart is really attached to the equipment from the late 80's and early 90's. I just can't warm to some of the newer stuff. I have already picked up the following...

Adcom GDA-600 DAC ($185) for the main 2-channel system
B&W DM 602s ($180) for my office or my wife's system

I have not completely decided on all of the gear, and I am sure some of my decisions will be based on me simply stumbling upon what I think is a good deal (like the B&Ws). However, I do hope to find a good deal on a pair of Adcom GFA-565 mono blocks or another Adcom GFA-5802 to bi-amp the 9 Kappas.

Well... that was probably a waaaaaaay too long winded introduction. And I almost forgot... I stumbled upon this site while researching some equipment, and it looked like a good place hangout for a while. So I look forward to reading everyones posts, and hope to maybe even contribute something to the rest of community along the way.

Rob

Welcome to AK Rob! :music: Sounds like you're "packing" a wealth of experience in a lot of areas - glad to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom