Just passed on a Blessing B88 trombone

Discussion in 'Musical Instruments' started by Dr Tinear, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Dr Tinear

Dr Tinear AK Subscriber Subscriber

A friend of mine picked up a used 1992-vintage Blessing B88 trombone -- a lower-cost copy of the Conn 88H -- with a yellow brass bell and a new Pro-Tec Max case. When he asked me to evaluate it, he said that his plan was to list it for $900 on eBay, or I could have it for $700. I had to replace the plastic stop plate on the rotary valve because it was cracked, which took an hour of my time and a part that he provided, and I gave the slide a thorough cleaning with brass polish to get the oxidation off the inner slides.

Once it was sorted, I played it on a rehearsal and a concert last week. On the positive side, it's a very good player. On the negative side, the slide needed frequent re-lubing, which I didn't expect. I inspected it and found a number of red rot spots in the outer tubes. A slide with this problem can be made to work, but will require a lot of pampering to keep it running well. The only long-term solution is to replace the outer slide tubes ($$$). I researched completed sales on eBay, concluded that the horn was worth about $400 in its present condition, and offered to buy it for that price. He declined my offer in a terse all-caps e-mail, so the horn is going back to him tonight. If it doesn't sell and he offers it to me a second time, my offer price the second time around will be $350. I don't need this kind of aggravation and I certainly don't need to overpay for a horn that I would enjoy playing, but don't absolutely need to own.

Wildcat, John James and Pio1980 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Beemerdoc

Beemerdoc Grumpy Old Fart Subscriber

Sadly, friends aren't really friends when money or perceived value enters the equation......

3. Binkman

Binkman Addicted Member

Sounds like friend doesn't play and went online all agog over seen selling prices. I have no idea of trombones nor their market but you seem to have the experience of years. I've done some regular selling of stereo gear and some music instruments and regardless of brand name I sell my stuff(I try to acquire good name brands) in a calculated price range. Some things require just a cleaning up and others more intense repair or servicing. But generally I sell some where below new and unserviced bottom end, but if I repair its a quality job. (seems my local market is slow at present)

i.e. with millions of guitars out there I find some tol brand names rather silly over priced because of imagined value. e.g. I picked up an epiphone les paul standard with excellent finish (was a bit noisy at idle) that I simply adjusted the neck, new pots&caps and installed new gibson gold humbuckers. Aside from comparative wider variety of finishes of gibson les pauls it's just as good functionally versus finishes as now properly set up and better quality internal parts. Comparitive from 'guitars r us, I found most epiphones were prob. out of box and not set up. while the gibsons are factory set up.

4. John James

John James "Bob's your uncle" (Stolen) Subscriber

The outer legs can cost in the neighborhood of $100.00 each retail. An hours time (+/-, in a good repair facility). may be half that again.