Just picked up a 1060B

reeltorock

I just picked up a relatively mint 1060B integrated to drive the JBL Decade 26 speakers I bought just after Christmas. Any thoughts on this amp? I tried it out before buying and apart from a couple dirty controls it sounded awesome despite the Sony speakers it was run through. The former owner is an electrician and is selling about 25 Marantz receivers and integrateds he's accumulated over the years. There was a lot of sweet stuff there (2270, 2245 etc) but the $135CDN ($115) I paid for the 1060B after he did a 2-step (cleaner and 24hr-set Deoxit) cleanup of the controls was already pushing my amplification budget.

Now I'm on the lookout for a decent tuner for less than $75US...

Attachments

• ampsmall.JPG
    ampsmall.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 46
From what I can tell from this thread, I made a good choice with the 1060B. I really can't wait to get the JBL's from my folks' place on the weekend (I'm off at school, was rushed to get back so didn't bring them after the Christmas holidays). Research shows I didn't do that bad with the Decade 26s either, they seem to be a good speaker. Tried them alongside my dad's (formerly my) B&W DM602 Series 2 and was surprised, other than the 5-year-old B&Ws having a punchier bottom end which I expected.

I can feel the Marantz bug already...I'd initially gone in with a conservative budget but I think I may drop the cash on the 115B tuner the former owner of my 1060B has for sale as well. A question: if possible, would it be better to go for a 2238B instead of the 1060B + 115B or would I end up appreciating the integrated + tuner in the long run?

The 1060b is very close to the 1060- the differences are knobs, no slide levers on the 1060b vs. knobs with slide levers on the 1060b, a relocated "on" power light, pre-in/main-outs on the 1060 but not on the 1060b, and two mic-ins on the 1060, but not on the 1060b.

Otherwise, you've got a great 30wpc amp, that has a warm, fluid sound, partly due to it being a non-DC (Direct Coupled) amp, partly because it's a Marantz.

These sell from a low of $50 to an average of $65 to $115, and occasionally up around $150-$175.

The amp is matched extremely well with the pre-amp front end, better than the 1040, 1070, 1090, and others, many will argue. I may very well agree.

This amp has become a classic among folks who like a nice little amp. And the headphone community has embraced it as well- it's well loved over at Hed-Fi.

One of my favorite features is the addition of a "mid" control, alongside the "bass" and "treble" control. Sansui used to do that in the early days, too.

How much do I like this amp? Very much. Enough so, that I've got two of 'em (1060s- not 1060bs).

I had a 1060 back in the early '70's. I thought it was 60wpc. But 30 + 30 RMS seems reasonable. I also had a pair of AR4x's and the little system was all I needed to keep me happy. Back then had a cassette player (one of ther first for home stereo. with an outboard Dolby.) Some R to R deck, and a Pioneer PLA-41. That little system cost me big bucks then! Really pissed my new wife off, but I had to have it!
If I could find one locally, I'd buy it. But not more than $100. Maybe $150.00 if it was pristine.
Loved the mid-range knob!

Rick

Back
Top Bottom