Just picked up a FREE pair of KLH 6's from original 1963 owner-PIC's & Restoration

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
This was a CL listing. They need a complete restoration.
They are not a matching pair, but the woman told me her husband had gotten a 600 dollar college loan in 1963 and went out to buy these.
Two different tweeters. She said they sounded good. We'll see tonight.
Here's some quick pics I took with the iphone.

Besides the caps, & resealing the surrounds, I would like to replace the veneer. Some guy's have used the kind with an adhesive backing, which is the route I'd prefer to take. Who has the best priced veneer selection?

Should be a fun project (I hope).

Glenn

Those are early Sixes with the woofer being integral with the front baffle. In other words, there's no way to remove them. In order to get to the x-over caps, you'll either need to cut a hole in the back or go in through the connection plate as in this thread. I have a pair that I've not gotten around to digging into yet.

Dave

Yeah, I've seen a few threads where part of the back was cut out to access the caps.

Certainly a bit more work than my later 6's with removable woofers.

Thanks for the link.

Glenn

You must really like 6s.

cubdog

I do. They are very nice sounding. This will be the first time I'll attempt a complete resto on the cabs. I plan to replace all the veneer. Grills can be found on fleabay fairly often. The most challenging part will be getting access to the caps.

I look forward to all comments and advice.

Glenn

I'm interested in seeing what you can do with these, if you go the route with adhesive veneer please do post some pics of the project along the way, I have a few sets of speakers that could stand a makeover and have been putting it off.

I notice one has a sealed tweeter, while the other has the screw in type seen in KLH speakers post 1963-4. This further confirms what I thought, that the tweeter change came in 1963. The woofer changed to screw type in 1965 at about serial number 0094000. The model six was Kloss' true love. He said in many interviews - "Everything was right with the six".

It would be interesting to know if yours have the Military surplus oil filled caps which KLH used up until about 1963. If so, they may still be in spec.

I have a 1958 pair of six's...serial numbers 00711 & 00688 from the first week or so of production. !00% original and sound fantastic at 55 years old.

I notice one has a sealed tweeter, while the other has the screw in type seen in KLH speakers post 1963-4. This further confirms what I thought, that the tweeter change came in 1963. The woofer changed to screw type in 1965 at about serial number 0094000. The model six was Kloss' true love. He said in many interviews - "Everything was right with the six".

It would be interesting to know if yours have the Military surplus oil filled caps which KLH used up until about 1963. If so, they may still be in spec.

I have a 1958 pair of six's...serial numbers 00711 & 00688 from the first week or so of production. !00% original and sound fantastic at 55 years old.

That's pretty amazing!

Once I get in there, I'll post pics of the caps. I haven't had a chance to hear them yet.

I'm interested in seeing what you can do with these, if you go the route with adhesive veneer please do post some pics of the project along the way, I have a few sets of speakers that could stand a makeover and have been putting it off.

The first thing I plan to do is remove all the old veneer. I keep getting splinters!
Actually the first thing is to listen to them. I'm really interested to see if the tweeters work.

I definitely plan on using adhesive backed veneer. Just much easier to apply.
The cabs are solid ply and in pretty good shape. I see a few spots that need some minor repair and corners filled. Prep should go pretty smoothly.

I gave both a quick listen, both tweeters are not working. A re-cap is in order which I figured would be needed.
Both woofers are fine.

The fun begins, but first I need to finish re-capping my 17's.

Time to dig in huh! Keep us posted on were you get your veneer, and the application. I would love to give it a try some day! You think you will order the veneer online?

Time to dig in huh! Keep us posted on were you get your veneer, and the application. I would love to give it a try some day! You think you will order the veneer online?

Dig, drill, cut! I just hope the caps aren't submerged in that brown epoxy tub! At least the original owner ripped off the grills. Saved me a little work!

I looked online at some veneer suppliers and that's most likely the rout I'll take. I need to do the dirty work first. Also measurements so I order enough.
From what I saw online, I think I can get a nice adhesive backed walnut veneer for around 70 bucks. 4' X 8' sheet. I'd like to restore these as close to original as possible.

Some progress-PIC's

I've spent this weekend getting the old veneer off.
The first speaker, non plywood box, it came off pretty easily. I left the inside edge veneer in place as it was basically fine. I'll give it a good sanding too even it out for staining later.
The older box, 5 ply is more challenging. It does at times take a bit of the top layer of ply with it.
I tried using some acetone to loosen up the adhesive but it has no effect. I'm using a flat metal taping spatula and lightly tapping it with a hammer like a chisel. This cab will need a bit more prep work and filling before applying the new veneer.
Anyway, here's a few pics of one done. Already looks better that when I got these.

The 2nd , older cab. Should have this one done today.

A few more pics of today's progress.

Both speakers veneer stripped.
Got one of the X-overs out. The epoxy tub was very brittle. Using a screw driver & hammer, it broke apart pretty easily.
Next to get inside to get at the 2fU cap through that little hole! Ah what fun!

That yellow stuff melted rather easily for me when I took a hair dryer to it. It was easy then, to scrape it off the components and continue with cap replacement. :)

I didn't even think about heat. It was so brittle, it pretty much crumbled.

So I just ordered the caps and veneer. I'm excited to start the restoration phase. I'll prep the cabs, fix corners etc... while I'm waiting for the veneer. :banana:

Ordered the walnut veneer from wisewood veneer. Ordered "PSA"-Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.

Ordered the walnut veneer from wisewood veneer. Ordered "PSA"-Pressure Sensitive Adhesive.
Awesome thanks man! I'll have to check into that veneer. I watched a few YouTube videos on veneering the other night. Read in some of the comments that they were getting air bubbles, which dont sound good! But there seems to be many different types of applications. I will have to do more research. Hope it goes good for ya!

Back
Top Bottom