Just picked up a Marantz 2245 @ SA

Sniper

Just picked up a Marantz 2245 at the SA for $24.99 it's pretty dirty.

What should I look for when cleaning this baby up?

I always remove the cover and take a lens brush then sweep off the dirt and dust while vacuuming. Don't hold the vacuum too close, you don't want a transistor to get sucked up! I have found more stuff that didn't work right because of cat hair! You may need to deoxit the pots and switches, if you do, let the unit stand overnight after cleaning to be sure that the controls are dry.

Good luck! That's a heck of a buy!

SCORE!
Way to go, 2245 was my first receiver around 1976.

I still have one, but one side of the pre is dead.

Yes, the pots in these things can get pretty scratchy.

Be careful what you use to clean the face, as some things will eat the silkscreened letters right off.

Oh and, :worthless

Pics Pics Pics!!!

Allright I took it home and removed the covers and......it wasn't as bad as I thought! I removed all the knobs and washed the front plate in warm soapy water and cleaned all the pots with Deoxit. I let it dry for a few and hooked up some cheap speakers and turned it on. It sounds great!

Now the bad part, only two of the lights work. How hard are they to replace? After my initial inspection it wasn't too obvious. How many lamps are there? Second bad part is....not that bad, all the rubber feet are missing.

3day207.jpg

3day206.jpg

3day214.jpg

It looks nice, pretty clean. Most of them have some burnt out lamps. It is not that hard to replace them, do a search here and you can find tons of information.

Don't sweat it, ya done good!
surprised you found that in OC !

There's a guy on EBay that supplies Festoon lamps for all the gear. I had given up on finding proper dial lamps for my Sony STR-6055, contacted him and he knew what lamps would work for me. That was on a Friday and I ordered the lamps, I think $6.95 each plus one dollar for shipping. They got here on the following Monday. I had to remove the face plate to get at the lamp holders and his replacements fit perfectly. All is well again! Try doing a search for festoon lamp on EBay. I searched for my receipt to help, but can't find it.

Back
Top Bottom