just picked up a realistic tr-3000

Qrell

After I got there and saw that capstan wasn't spinning everything else seems fine, heads are shiny as a chrome car bumper the appearance is near minty. for 2 20's thought i'd take a chance and hopefully its just the belt and end up with at least a replacement capstan motor for a 909,which I have 2. think I saw a post on here that said u work from the front end on this one so diving into that now. Hopefully its not a switch problem....

The TR-3000 is a rebadge of the one of last consumer TEACs, as I recall. They had some... idiosyncracies (again, as I recall).

EDIT: yup.

038.jpg

source: http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1978/

I think the equivalent TEAC was the X-3; here's some info on the similar X-3R (the "R" having auto-reverse)
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/teac/x-3r.shtml

The capstan, as best I can remember/tell, is direct drive.

teac_x-3r.jpg

Last edited:
Ty for the info & post mhardy. It is in fact a belt machine. And that is the problem here just a melted belt. Besides a light layer of dust this machine looks brand new, at least to me. The brake pads are still a bright white & thick. I'll have to get a belt, not sure where to order a reliable belt for this model besides ebay. As far as replacing the belt on the machine, looks like I'll have to remove the one spring and the head assembly to get at it. for those of u who have replaced a belt on this deck does that sound about right?

Buy a Teac X-300 belt from Teac in CA.
parts@teac.com
When replacing the belt, head-assembly plate off and slide the solenoid plunger out to get access.
Clean the fly-wheel and motor pulley so all old residue is gone.
Mount the belt and assemble again. :)
Here is a video / picture slide with your model apart and finished I'll made couple of years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4zCawN5RGo

Nice video and good info & instruction, I'll definitely order from there. I cleaned what I could and put it back together for now. Thanks Much VintageTX

You welcome, if you need any more help, just let us know :thmbsp:

Nice video and good info & instruction, I'll definitely order from there. I cleaned what I could and put it back together for now. Thanks Much VintageTX

Ty miles, your right I found it on CL, but in Minneapolis, MN. The person just acquired it 2 days prior from an estate before listing. That's all the history I know about this deck.

After I got there and saw that capstan wasn't spinning everything else seems fine, heads are shiny as a chrome car bumper the appearance is near minty. for 2 20's thought i'd take a chance and hopefully its just the belt and end up with at least a replacement capstan motor for a 909,which I have 2. think I saw a post on here that said u work from the front end on this one so diving into that now. Hopefully its not a switch problem....

Good score on the Realistic tr 3000! i missed out on one that i had my grubby hands on. It was for sale at GW for 35.00 and since i did not know anything about RtR i passed on it. then a came here and found out it was an Teac in disguise. :tears: oh well live and learn.

Enjoy your tr3000 :)

Rob

VintageTX .. couple more questions before I order the X-300/TR-3000 belt. I have the following Teac decks which I think work (the belts) & I believe are the originals. A-4300, 40-4 (Tascam), 3300-s, A-1230, and a Teac cass deck A-510 mk2. Do all these need to be specifically ordered from Teac? And as to what order as I would want the best quality deck belts replaced first. I doubt I would get over $100 in belts at a time but maybe 2 or 3, depending on the $$. I wouldn't think the belts would last much longer if put into daily use. Also that mail link u gave does not work for me so I'll use this http://www.teac.com/contact/parts/ Thanks -Q

Forgot to say, probably the Tascam first then the 3300-s, the 3300 I've had since about 83, just needs the linkage cleaned & relubed. The Tascam actually seems fine, but I haven't put it through hours of use. The 4300 has a screw loose or something on the bottom (rattles).. haven't opened that up yet, reel base is loose one side. 1230 seems fine also just the rubber stoppers or whatever those are called are not effective anymore. ... just some additional info here , ty -Q

You can call directly instead, faster and know what they have in stock & price.
here is the nr and ext.
(323) 726-0303 x840
About the models, I would buy the X-300 and Teac 40-4 & teac A-510 MKII from Teac.
The others have stronger capstan-motor so those can be ordered from Bob at Vintage Electronics, he has a good selection and speedy shipper.
email:
bob@vintage-electronics.net

Belts usually last about 10-15 years depending how the temp /sunlight etc, but if you planning to get every deck up and running, maybe order all and get that part taken care of.
By the way, that's alot of decks :)

Forgot to mention, check the counter belt on the Realistic when you have it apart, and probably 40-4, 4300 & 3300 model also ( long round ones and very easy to replace )

Great info TX very helpful. So again thank you very much, and yea good idea on the counter belts would be kind of silly not to do them same time.
Are r2r's ur main thing?
I'll probably be all over this forum at some point, as I have a bunch of cass decks, cd players, & a ton of speaks probably over 50.. -Q

Update: called & ordered this afternoon. The Teac cass deck A-510 mk2 belts have been discontinued/no longer available. The counter belts for the X-300/TR-3000 & the 40-4 they no longer have/are out. The capstan belts for the X-300/TR-3000 and the 40-4 are actually the same belt & are available, I ordered 2 (under $35 delivered). shipped next day. -Q

Great catch:yes: I found mine at the local Goodwill for $25 with the metal reels attached. It sounds fantastic!!!

Attachments

• realistic tr 3000 122.JPG
    realistic tr 3000 122.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 56
  • realistic tr 3000 131.JPG
    realistic tr 3000 131.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
  • realistic tr 3000 143.JPG
    realistic tr 3000 143.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 45
  • realistic tr 3000 142.JPG
    realistic tr 3000 142.JPG