just picked up a realistic tr-3000

From your post #77 you want me to make/record & compare on headphones ? or ? not sure if I understood that correctly.

From post #77, when switching to tape(in record mode) u hear a lot of as u said... Warbled, flutter. -Q

No it does not sound like frying bacon, just warbled ..

Was thinking maybe the heads are magnetized but in most cases with severe cases it sounds like frying bacon if the record head has issues.

Wait with taking the deck apart, let me think about this.

Been thinking that maybe your wires from record head are crushed when re-installing the head assembly board.
Take the head-cover off and check the wire loom going from the heads so the faceplate or assembly board don't have any issues.
If the speed is not a issue with tapes recorded on another machine there is another problem.

They seem fine, they got moved around a bit, but everything is intact. This is just puzzling. Could a spacer/washer not seeded correctly cause this ? or wrong belt ?

Tx, FYI.. I listened to the recording I made from the other machine a few times now,. there is still warble but not as bad. So listening to a tape from another machine did not correct the problem -Q

Well, we don't know how it was acting before at previous owner, take it apart again and double check everything, clean both fly-wheel and pulley + belt.
Maybe take a few pictures while apart if you can.

I think your capstan belt is slipping, rubbing, isn't the correct size, or something's not put back together correctly with the capstan/flywheel.

The reason is seems worse listening to the machine's own recording vs. one made on another machine is that when playing its' own recording, you are adding variation onto variation, making a real "double" mess.

Dave :music:

Took the deck apart & snapped these 9 photos as I went along. Have not done anything to the deck. I don't really see anything on the belt/flywheel/capstan motor pulley.
On the last pic u see stuff on the spindle/inner wheel, that is not belt residue its the oil I used and has turned that color from whatever oil was there from before. Apparently I did not get that all cleaned out of inside the spindle. Not sure if that's causing this problem or not. the manual states not to spread the oil, just a couple drops and run the machine, .. well I spread it on, again not sure if that's serious enough to cause this problem. Also in last pic u can see a black washer/spacer... that came from in between the line dial's, the other dials had none.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Flywheel looks clean, but wipe the shaft and don't put any oil, just install it again.
Also check the screws on the motor pulley (allen metric) so all are tight.
Other then that I don't see anything wrong. :)

No change. I found the 2 speed pots on the small board those will speed up the tape or slow it down but the awful warble sound is still there.

Back
Top Bottom