Just purchased a CR-2040...

I won't dismiss the possibility that the synergy just doesn't work. I'm not really a JBL guy, never owned much of their stuff (the best from them I ever had was a pair of L7's, but MAN that titanium "sizzle" tweeter was just too much after a while.)
I would find it REALLY surprising that DCM's (at least their CX series which I have owned) would sound good with this Yamaha- just about any review concerning the CX-17 or CX-27 points out their surprisingly strong low end emphasis- I would think that would make them an even worse pairing with the Yamaha. I have never owned or heard the TimeFrames.

Here is my thread concerning the Soundwaves, some pretty good info in there, along with my comments concerning their pairing with the Sony ES receiver:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/need-a-speaker-id-please.812366/

That tweeter is deadly accurate... It will point up every flaw.. Best way to tame it is to bi-amp with Tubes on the top ..
With tubes the top end and the mid-range are just deliciously accurate...Bi-amp connectors are there so you can amplify the bottom and the top separately... The L7 is an amazingly accurate device all through the frequency spectrum. It's bottom end thrives on Solid State power, but the top end will drill your ears if your amp or source is inclined to dryness or brightness...

What you are hearing is characteristic of most Yamah silver receivers and could be from a mis-match with your personal preference (likely) or with your speakers (less likely but possible if they are 4 Ohm rated). I've heard or owned most of the silver Yammies including the CR-3020 and the CR-2040 beats them all. The sound does not begin to clear the throat until the R-2000, which is let down by a finicky tuner than never works. You scored nicely so I would send it back to the wild and get what you really want.

My experience also .. I always thought that the Yamaha's had a characteristic dry and lifeless top end back when I was listening with AR LST's and the Yamaha receiver (and the AR had silk domes).. The L7 is in a different league altogether from the Receiver. Best advice would be to use the receiver on the bottom half of the L7's (It;s got lottsa power) and then get an integrated tube amp for the top.. An integrated tube amp so that your sorces are coming in through tubes first... control level between top and bottom with the receiver's volume button and there is no need for a separate preamp ) .. use good wire and the best source devices you can afford, and you will begin to get a hint of what this speaker is capable of .. Transient dynamics are way better when you biamp .. these speakers are capable of just disappearing and letting the music roll but only if the upfront equipment and sources are right .. buy a set of wires.. the connectors are there .. buy the tube amp from a source that you can return it to and try it.. You won't look back.

I am definitely biased in favor of the L7's .. I love my Magnepans but they lack the "grab you by the shirt and throw you around the room" dynamics of the JBL's .. You can crank em until you know you're seriously bothering the neighbors, and you're starting to wonder about the current capability of your amp.
The bottom end of a well fed set of L7's is second to no other speaker near it's price....
(Rusted Root - When I woke CD ..opening 5 min. drum solo)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom