Just put a small system in the dining room

that Akai 1721L!

Thanks mate, I thought you probably meant that one.

I had been looking for an r2r for a while and in fact had purchased one about 6 months ago - a Philips 4xxx series - which was in need of work. Unfortunately, my repair skills were no where near what they are now and I sold the Philips on without ever trying it out.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and I'm walking around the recycle shop at the city dump. I spy a reel deck, sitting there among the broken electronics - labelled 'not working, as-is $15'. I grabbed it because it was complete and in good cosmetic shape. Luckily, when I got it home, I reset the 50 / 60 Hz cycle to match our voltage here and switched the AUTO mode to OFF. I then powered it up and it sprang to life - FF / REW / PLAY all seemed to work so I picked up a couple of reels of tape from a local thrift to try it out. A fellow member (Jonesin' for audio - Matt) sent me some very well recorded reels too and I was blown away when I got to listen to them.

To say this deck is very low in the overall pecking order, it sounds great and is totally reliable. Even better, it only cost me $15 NZ :)

Thanks mate, I thought you probably meant that one.

I had been looking for an r2r for a while and in fact had purchased one about 6 months ago - a Philips 4xxx series - which was in need of work. Unfortunately, my repair skills were no where near what they are now and I sold the Philips on without ever trying it out.

Fast forward to about a month ago, and I'm walking around the recycle shop at the city dump. I spy a reel deck, sitting there among the broken electronics - labelled 'not working, as-is $15'. I grabbed it because it was complete and in good cosmetic shape. Luckily, when I got it home, I reset the 50 / 60 Hz cycle to match our voltage here and switched the AUTO mode to OFF. I then powered it up and it sprang to life - FF / REW / PLAY all seemed to work so I picked up a couple of reels of tape from a local thrift to try it out. A fellow member (Jonesin' for audio - Matt) sent me some very well recorded reels too and I was blown away when I got to listen to them.

To say this deck is very low in the overall pecking order, it sounds great and is totally reliable. Even better, it only cost me $15 NZ :)

Ha! What a great find... Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom