Just put on Pink Floyd's Piper at the Gates of Dawn....respect.

Made in 1967 with Syd Barrett in charge, this is really a ground breaking listen. Mediocre musicianship but stellar song composition, this is one to be cherished if you are lucky enough to have a copy.
Nothing mediocre about Syd's guitar. IMHO. And all the virtuoso noodling in the world is not gonna transform a mediocre composition into a stellar composition.

Piper at the gates of dawn, Ummugumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side, WIsh you were here, Animals and the Wall........arguably some of the best work ever done by Pink Floyd. (Never cared too much for Obscured by Clouds or A saucer full of secrets or anything after the wall to be honest with you) Saw them twice, once on the 1988/89 tour and once on the Division Bell tour, 1994. Awesome show despite Roger Waters not being with them by then.....

I'll have to give PATGOD another listen as it seems to be a very elusive sound to me.Love most everything after SFS to The Wall.

I used to play it quite a bit in high school; but revisited it a few years back and that was enough for me.

Ditto The Soft Machine debut too, and quite a bit of psychedelia from that time. It just doesn't do it anymore for me.

I believe that Sound Acoustics is doing a heavy weight vinyl reissue of the entire PF album catalog, right now. So if anyone wants fresh copies of their albums, they are out there, from SA.

The Floyd albums are done from fresh mix downs done by the same sound engineers that did them, in the first place, back in the day. And all from the original masters.

They just got done with the 'Doors' catalog, 12 inch records spun at 45 RPM. All from 1/2 speed masters, which means that the cutting machine did a better job of the high frequencies by cutting at a slower speed. They should sound pretty good. Side one of a Doors album is on record number one and side two is on another.

I have nothing to do with record reissue manufacturing but this kind of information is ready to read on SA's web site.

Lu.

Piper at the gates of dawn, Ummugumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Dark Side, WIsh you were here, Animals and the Wall........arguably some of the best work ever done by Pink Floyd. (Never cared too much for Obscured by Clouds or A saucer full of secrets or anything after the wall to be honest with you) Saw them twice, once on the 1988/89 tour and once on the Division Bell tour, 1994. Awesome show despite Roger Waters not being with them by then.....

Made a horrible mistake and blew $40 on Ummugumma a couple weeks ago.. Shudder. Must be an aquired taste, like lutefisk. That will teach me to preview records on YouTube before dropping my money.

But since it's on the shelf, I'll try it again. After all, it took a few tries over thirty years before Jethro Tull's Aqualung was found appealing.

I just refreshed my memory of "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict".

A trip indeed! :)

Have to say I didn't like Piper at the Gates of Dawn when it first came out but I bought the LP anyway. A high school friend said it was great but I thought it was disjointed and silly, especially Bike.

LSD made it sound more interesting.

If the album released in North America included See Emily Play, I would have liked it more. That was their best song from that period as far as I was concerned. I have listened to it every five or six years since then for nostalgia's sake. What makes it more interesting now than then was reading the details about the Syd Barrett year(s).

I am somewhat of an 8 track collector and once found Piper at the Gates of Dawn in that format. A good find I thought but after reconditioning the cartridge, discovered someone had recorded The Eagles over top of it. I hate it when that happens.

Actually - and FWIW - Bike is one of the songs I like best on that album.

This (again FWIW) is my idea of potent psychedelia, especially in its original mix.

626d72341ca3009b7cef21b2e7a0c09e.927x1000x1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom