Just received my Carat-Emerald DAC

TheAnalogman

Tell me about it.
I don't listen to tunes much via my Laptop (iBook G4), but when I have, the sound quality IMO is less than stellar. So, after doing some research, and getting frustrated as usual, I opted on buying this Korean made Carat-Emerald DAC. It can be used either as a headphone amp or a DAC to an integrated, etc. Pretty good reviews here and there, I didn't see any who hated it. My budget was $200 and this DAC was $199 via ebay. I got it in 3 days, the box was bubble wrapped and placed in another box for shipping. As you can see in the pics, it's packaged nicely and with all the cushioning there prolly wasn't going to be any issues. It's fairly light, the fit and finish is top notch, no plastic on the outside that I saw. I'll post some more when I hook it up via the supplied USB cable.

Attachments

• DSC_0540.jpg
    DSC_0540.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0541.jpg
    DSC_0541.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC_0542.jpg
    DSC_0542.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC_0543.jpg
    DSC_0543.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC_0544.jpg
    DSC_0544.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
Let us know how you like it!!
I'm seriously thinking of going the DAC - giant harddrive server route myself.

Well....the sound quality is nothing more than "meh" at this time. I did notice a bit more bass while listening to "I Robot", and that's about it. I emailed the distributor and he said to make sure it gets broken in for 100 hours or so.

Lot's of choices on DAC's out there. I paid $169 for my BC, made in Canada by Gilbert. It is powered off the computer, so no wall wart or AC.

I let this "break in" for about 100 hours or so, and I can't hear much of a difference at all compared to using the iBook headphone jack. It may be a mismatch with my AKGs, who knows. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

I let this "break in" for about 100 hours or so, and I can't hear much of a difference at all compared to using the iBook headphone jack. It may be a mismatch with my AKGs, who knows. I'm sending it back tomorrow.

Of course it depends upon the quality of the source. There's not much you can get out of 128 Kbps MP3 for instance.

My experience with the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09, which was only $100 more, is that it is a fantastic improvement in everything. it drives my two Sennheiser sets perfectly. Plus it has optical and coaxial inputs for CD players as well as USB. And it can do 24-bit 96 Khz.

Of course it depends upon the quality of the source. There's not much you can get out of 128 Kbps MP3 for instance.
I certainly agree, all my music files are .wav.

My experience with the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09, which was only $100 more, is that it is a fantastic improvement in everything. it drives my two Sennheiser sets perfectly. Plus it has optical and coaxial inputs for CD players as well as USB. And it can do 24-bit 96 Khz.

I've heard good things about it.

Grant Fidelity sells proven equipment, hence why you noticed a difference.

Back
Top Bottom