Just refinsihed a set of rare SP-5500's and....

set it up with a G-8000 that Dr. Audio (Warren) so nicely recapped for me. Drove hour and half to get 'em and belonged to a nice gentlemen that had them since new. Shipped them from overseas when working for the military as they were never sold in the U.S. These things are BEASTS with each weighing 105lbs.

The cabinets are 1" fiberboard and has its own toe kick. I decided to refinish so stripped and sanded and restained. Sprayed three coats of satin poly for years of protection. The sound is phenomenal and powerful and have it matched with a set of Bose 901 Continentals and both are playing thru 901 eq.

I decided to share as it's a rare combo...:music: Enjoy pics...:thmbsp:

Not so rare around here as I have seen at least 3 Pairs of these 5500's this summer alone for decent dollars. Guess they were brought back by someone in the Armed Services :thmbsp:

SP 5500's

I realize this is an old thread, I'm not sure if I should post here or not, but, I'm wondering if you got the owners manual with your speakers & if it has full specs on the individual drivers & the crossover. I'm looking for any info I can find, as I recently picked up a pair as well. Thanks.

SP 5500's

I realize this is an old thread, I'm not sure if I should post here or not, but, I'm wondering if you got the owners manual with your speakers & if it has full specs on the individual drivers & the crossover. I'm looking for any info I can find, as I recently picked up a pair as well. Thanks.

You still need that manual?

There is a pair of those brand new never used still in the box so the seller says on cl for a mere $1000 US...
I bought those "brand new" in the box speakers yesterday in Corvallis, OR.
First we had to vacuum out the mouse turds from the box which was shredded up. They were a little scratched and mouse-piss stained. But for $450 I can live with it. They sound pretty good, but not as clear as my recapped SP-5000. I'm looking for caps now.

Update: I recapped one speaker and I cannot tell the difference at all. Maybe the recapped puts out less bass. This in stark contrast to the recapped 5000's which are night and day. I assume the caps on these 5500's were still good and the 5000's were bad.

View attachment 955448 fullsizeoutput_1422.jpeg _AB20671.JPG

Last edited:
Fricken mice.... I'm in Portland and been thinking about recapping my SP-5500's, even though I think they sound damn near perfect. Are you doing them yourself? Not sure I have the confidence to do it myself.

Nice, awesome speakers! pretty wild you have the most extreme scooped V curve known to man with the 901eq through them also.
You're way over my head with the technical stuff. Can you expand on that V curve? I know I love my 5000s and these 5500s have a clever method of avoiding the need for a crossover for the woofer. And they're just built so well. Take off the excellent curved grill and the interior wood is as nice as the exterior.

Last edited:
Fricken mice.... I'm in Portland and been thinking about recapping my SP-5500's, even though I think they sound damn near perfect. Are you doing them yourself? Not sure I have the confidence to do it myself.
Yes, I like 'em as they are. But as I have 5000s capped and uncapped and I can hear the massive difference, I have to cap these 5500 as well. The guy who did my 5000 told me to go to Jamac up on Sandy and buy cheap caps. Not to waste money on expensive stuff. And then it's just a matter of a little soldering. There's only three on the 5500s. They do look very tightly bound, though. I will look at it closely and decide if I need help from the guy. The 5000s look easier to work on - there's a ton of space. What's the condition of yours outside? Where'd you get them. They all have a story.

Yes, I like 'em as they are. But as I have 5000s capped and uncapped and I can hear the massive difference, I have to cap these 5500 as well. The guy who did my 5000 told me to go to Jamac up on Sandy and buy cheap caps. Not to waste money on expensive stuff. And then it's just a matter of a little soldering. There's only three on the 5500s. They do look very tightly bound, though. I will look at it closely and decide if I need help from the guy. The 5000s look easier to work on - there's a ton of space. What's the condition of yours outside? Where'd you get them. They all have a story.
I recapped mine and it is pretty simple with only 3 caps on each xover..

I got mine from a fellow AKer. I had the SP-5000's and loved them, but always wanted the next step up. Got a note and asked if I was interested and I jumped on em. Sold the SP-5000's as I didn't have room for 4 speakers. Condition aesthetically probably about a 9 out 10. These are lifers. Not sure my kids will ever appreciate them when I'm gone to Sansui heaven.

I recapped one of my 5500's speakers. The other has the originals. I cannot tell the difference. Anyone in Portland, OR, I invite you to come listen.
Any members near Portland want to check out recapped and not - side by side - are welcome to check them out.

I got mine from a fellow AKer. I had the SP-5000's and loved them, but always wanted the next step up. Got a note and asked if I was interested and I jumped on em. Sold the SP-5000's as I didn't have room for 4 speakers. Condition aesthetically probably about a 9 out 10. These are lifers. Not sure my kids will ever appreciate them when I'm gone to Sansui heaven.
I'm glad your sill liking them and that's why I offered the pair to you. They where really nice and needed to be in the hands of someone who would take care of them.

Back
Top Bottom