Just something about that sound

mcwacky

Over the past few years I've tried out alot of really nice McIntosh equipment...an MR74, MR77, MR85, MR7084, C40, C42, C712, MC150, MC7150, MC7100 (a pair) and a MC202...recently I sold all these models and pulled a "system" out of the closet I've had for quite a few years...a C32, MR78 and a MC2205...it's amazing to me that with all the improvements in electronics over the past 30 years or so, that these three pieces together sound better than anything I've come across for a long time...no matter the age...no matter the cost...

Mcwacky

Welcome, great system! :)

What did you think of the MR85? I was thinking of buying one but I can't find a dealer that has one is stock I can demo.

Victor

Victor,
I used the MR85 with a C42 and the MC202...these pieces sounded great through my Klipsch Chorus II's...a little "darker" than the C32, MR78 and MC2205...the MR85 is probably the easiest to use tuner I've come across...as far as ability to "zero-in" on stations, near and far, the MR85 did a wonderful job...very clear and detailed...in addition, the MR85 (and the C42/MC202) are some of the best looking pieces I've ever seen...just my personal preference, but I still like the "brighter" sound of the MR78...

The MR85 has an automatic variable high blend. If you have a good antenna the 85 and 78 are close in sound quality. If there is a weak signal the 85 will start to mono the high frequencies where you have to change the settings on the 78 to one of the filter positions.
Same function on both tuners but the MR78 is manual and the MR85 is automatic..

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom