Just tested my newly bought AU-919

Batong

...and it works like a charm. The only thing not "working properly" is that the balance is very flaky when turning it left but apart from that it works perfect. That will hopefully work out after a round of Deoxit.

But, after reading about the "Black Flag" capacitors I guess I have no other choice than to get them out. I have a tech-guy who can do the work, but I want to be prepared regarding which parts to replace them with.

So my question is: What kind of silver-micas should I replace the flags with (links to fleabay or online stores greatly appreciated), and is there any other parts that I should think about replacing?

Can anyone help a brother out? I know that Hyperion, EchoWars and others here knows what's up.

Cheers from Norway :rockon:

You can replace the Black Flags with Ceramic capacitors but they must be NP0/C0G types - I actually think the Ceramics may be better than the Mica ones for this application.

Do not buy electronic parts from ebay if you can avoid it, use reputable suppliers like Farnell, RS Components, Mouser, or Digikey - there are others.

Not sure if these suffer from the corrosive assembly adhesive. Anybody?
If your tech is going under the hood anyway. It probably pays to do the elytics . They're due.

Is every single AU-919 suffering from the corrosive glue or is it bound to specific productions / serials?

Is every single AU-919 suffering from the corrosive glue or is it bound to specific productions / serials?

Every single one - and the MM Head Amp is usually the worst affected - most of the other boards are also affected.

You need to read some of the AU-919 restoration threads and many if not all of these questions will be answered often with pictures. ;)

Last edited:
Every single one - and the MM Head Amp is usually the worst affected - most of the other boards are also affected.

You need to read some of the AU-919 restoration threads and all many if not all of these questions will be answered often with pictures. ;)
Allready done! Your threads are truly great. As I'm nowhere nearly experienced in restoration I'm outsourcing it to a local tech, but I'm trying to gather as much info as possible on what parts to use and such.

You can replace the Black Flags with Ceramic capacitors but they must be NP0/C0G types - I actually think the Ceramics may be better than the Mica ones for this application.

Do not buy electronic parts from ebay if you can avoid it, use reputable suppliers like Farnell, RS Components, Mouser, or Digikey - there are others.

Just a hint for those of you who don't obsessively browse Mouser.com like I do every night:

I think the "tiny ceramic caps" being discussed here, the Murata RCE series, are categorized on Mouser as "MLCC" instead of just "ceramic cap".

MLCC is simply multi layer ceramic cap, a fancy way of building ceramic caps. I think it's more precise, too.

So, when you look for these, at least on Mouser:

Look in the passive components -> capacitors -> MLCC category
Filter by dielectric type of C0G NP0 (the best for audio frequencies)
And know that Murata and TDK make 50V and 100V versions that Mouser has lots of
And Mouser often has good discounts at the 10 piece and 100 piece quantities

When I need 4 100pF ceramics, I buy 10 TDK or Murata MLCC's to get the discount and have some spares on hand for when I drop one on the carpet and it (to my old eyes) disappears until next time I vacuum.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably visit the tech-guy tomorrow and hear what he has to say. As a bare bare minimum we'll at least get the black flags out.

Back
Top Bottom