Just unexpectedly won a Rek-O-Kut B-12-H (!!)

Hello fellow members. Yep, I’m the guy who built that plinth.
If you are thinking about a new plinth, take a look at my FB page for more examples and ideas. Just search for Vintage Analog Restoration.
I appreciate the compliments.
Flasher1 (Larry)
Just had a look at your FB. How did you find the plinth did in quieting things down?

Back on topic!

The rebuilt idler wheels arrived today, and I've installed one on ROK #1. The amount of noise is dramatically lower, and will almost certainly drop further once the chassis is Dynamatted, and bolted down and installed in a high-mass plinth.

Testing the speed accuracy with an app called RPM, which requires placing the phone on the spinning platter, it was reading that the platter was slow, approximately 32.5, 44.5, 72. Switching to a printed strobe and using an app called True Note, the speed was dead nuts on at all three speeds! So either the RPM app doesn't work well with my phone or it just...sucks.

This weekend (no BS'ing around this time!) I'm gonna finish up ROK #3 (Papst transplant, new grommets, re-lube, new idler tire) and order supplies for building the plinths! At this point, I could set up one up with the Grado arm and have a preliminary listen, so that might be on the agenda too. I'd also like to start working on fixing up the ESL arms too.

Back on topic!

The rebuilt idler wheels arrived today, and I've installed one on ROK #1. The amount of noise is dramatically lower, and will almost certainly drop further once the chassis is Dynamatted, and bolted down and installed in a high-mass plinth.

Testing the speed accuracy with an app called RPM, which requires placing the phone on the spinning platter, it was reading that the platter was slow, approximately 32.5, 44.5, 72. Switching to a printed strobe and using an app called True Note, the speed was dead nuts on at all three speeds! So either the RPM app doesn't work well with my phone or it just...sucks.

This weekend (no BS'ing around this time!) I'm gonna finish up ROK #3 (Papst transplant, new grommets, re-lube, new idler tire) and order supplies for building the plinths! At this point, I could set up one up with the Grado arm and have a preliminary listen, so that might be on the agenda too. I'd also like to start working on fixing up the ESL arms too.
Progress. Yay!

Ran into a slight delay... I was detecting some chatter, which I traced to the ball bearing in the Papst, which is deformed in both motors. Unfortunately none of the bike shops or hardware stores around here have 3/32" bearings, so I had to go online. I bought a bag of them for $3 shipped, but the seller is unfortunately out in California, so it will be a week or so before they get here.

Meanwhile, I bought some fuel line hose to fix the drooping counterweights, so I can get started on the ESL arms.

Ran into a slight delay... I was detecting some chatter, which I traced to the ball bearing in the Papst, which is deformed in both motors. Unfortunately none of the bike shops or hardware stores around here have 3/32" bearings, so I had to go online. I bought a bag of them for $3 shipped, but the seller is unfortunately out in California, so it will be a week or so before they get here.

Meanwhile, I bought some fuel line hose to fix the drooping counterweights, so I can get started on the ESL arms.
"It's always bloody something". I've encountered the same things in doing the tables I've got on the go. Suddenly there is this one bit needed that isn't instantly available and the whole thing grinds to a halt until you source it and then wait for it to arrive....

Ran into a slight delay... I was detecting some chatter, which I traced to the ball bearing in the Papst, which is deformed in both motors. Unfortunately none of the bike shops or hardware stores around here have 3/32" bearings, so I had to go online.

I thought Papst used 4mm ball bearings. The motors were made in Europe and would have used a metric sized ball bearing (not a fractional size). 4mm is the size I found in my ROK and Empire Papst motors when I cleaned and lubed them. Did the prior owner of your table (who added a delrin thrust pad, and altered the 33 rpm pulley step) also change ball bearing sizes? 3/32" is only 2.38mm.

Edit: Do both of your Papst motors have a 3/32 ball bearing?

Last edited:
I thought Papst used 4mm ball bearings. The motors were made in Europe and would have used a metric sized ball bearing (not a fractional size). 4mm is the size I found in my ROK and Empire Papst motors when I cleaned and lubed them. Did the prior owner of your table (who added a delrin thrust pad, and altered the 33 rpm pulley step) also change ball bearing sizes? 3/32" is only 2.38mm.

Edit: Do both of your Papst motors have a 3/32 ball bearing?

I calipered the ball bearings in the two ROK Papst motors I have, and that's how they measured.

I still have some extra ball bearings left over from the Empire 398 I worked on a few years ago, and was surprised that they didn't match.

I hadn't thought about the German metric thing... maybe they're 3mm?

IMG_1704.JPG

Mine are 4.00mm exactly. Is your analog gauge reading accurate? It's also possible that Papst changed the bearing size for some reason...

Do you have a digital caliper you can cross check?

IMG_4202.jpg

It zeroes out correctly.
Not in that picture.
Is the scale sliding? Zero doesn't appear where I would expect it.
Have you measured something known and verified to check the accuracy?
Have you measured with another caliper?

Not in that picture.
Is the scale sliding? Zero doesn't appear where I would expect it.
Have you measured something known and verified to check the accuracy?
Have you measured with another caliper?

I'll bring the bearings to a bike shop and see if they'll caliper them for me.

I had the same problem with RPM on my Samsung phone only mine said the table was too fast (33.8). This was measured on my Technics SL1200MK2, my ROK L34 and ROK B12. No matter where I put it on the turntable platter. Then I put it right on the spindle which makes the phone not flat on the platter and it measured 33 1/3 right on. This was on all three turntables.
Try it and see if it makes a difference.

Hello. I am shipping my Rekukut to Europe so I can use it there. I did some cleaning and maintenace. Here is a picture of main bearing shaft after 4-5 years of using a caramic ball. How old is my turntable if one check a serial number? Robert.20180812_150536.jpg 20180812_150654.jpg

Back
Top Bottom