Just want to give a heads up about an online auction site.

Justgotohm

First off I’m not bitching or whining, this is simply a heads up on what to expect if you purchase audio gear from ShopGoodwill. I buy things from there often and still will but I am aware of the risk and am willing to take my chances. I simply want to pass along my experience to anyone not aware of GW shipping practices.
Any receivers, amps, pre amps, decks I have bought are packed as shown below. I have been lucky enough to not have any serious damage. When I buy sunglasses, clocks, anything else it has been well packed and protected.
I buy CD’s, tapes, records from GW, if I don’t like them I just drop them off so they can resell them, I’m a fan so I’m not looking for negative comments just passing on some relative info.
65E136E8-3488-4DD7-BD97-2F6D86FAC065.jpeg 7661E67B-5CF4-439D-9599-F5C082DBD923.jpeg 47B45696-7245-45BA-915F-0F9066D40472.jpeg B56D487D-67A3-4088-84D6-7769A95AB39A.jpeg C00F8252-B133-4D6C-89CE-14B69CE60CFE.jpeg DB3D8CD4-EED9-492F-96E6-A29DE14F624D.jpeg

Hey
Been there done that.
Poor packing on a teac at 201. Damaged cabinet. I complained they refunded the majority of my cost. I repaired the cabinet. So it turned out ok but I'd rather they had just packed it responsibly. The damage wasn't equal to the refund. But they gave it so I didn't argue .
Now you couldn't tell it was damaged until you saw the glue inside the cabinet.
Sorry to hear of your damage. Eric

Thanks, shopgoodwill not for me unless I can pickup... Too much gear in this world...I buy local only....U got lucky with that one Dave!

Had that happen. Now if I'm buying something similar I check their feedback to see if they've shipped something of equivalent size/weight.
I'm currently waiting on a NAD AVR, seller sold a 45 lbs espresso maker a few months before with praise for their packing.
I also mention good packaging in my reviews.

Got me curious. When you purchased the item, did you add a note to the transaction about expectations for how it would be packaged for shipment? They really should know better, but doesn't hertz to prod them a bit if you feel the need.

Keep in mind also, GW is a for-profit now and pays their employees hourly, so don't cut them too many breaks thinking they're a charity. They do a lot of good stuff in the community, but they're still a business and should be held accountable.

My kids have seen me pack gear and speakers before and Im sure they would do a better job than what OP got in the mail...

ages 5-7yrs old...

Depends on your interpretation of "non-profit" I suppose, the definition of which has mutated over the years. Was a day when that meant something was fully staffed and operated by volunteers and every cent that came in went to whatever charity they represented. Wouldn't accuse GW of taking more than necessary from the take, and they do provide a service to the community, but they DO need to pay attention to the bottom line to be successful.

Recent addition to their business model is a centralized internal system that tracks what things are selling for as a reference for all their stores. Check out their online pricing from various stores nationwide, and you'll see that they tend to be quite standardized, especially on the more desirable items.

Funny you say that. I was in one of the Columbus GA stores where I bought a pair of NLA Advent 25th Anniversary’s for $20, a clean MCS 6503 TT for $10. There was a Bose Wave radio marked $70 in the normal stack of crap Wal Mart surround sound pieces.

This was from a different auction site, packed just as badly:

KR-4070ShipmentPacking02.jpg

So far an antenna mount and tuning shaft are damaged, and I'm assessing the rest.

First off I’m not bitching or whining, this is simply a heads up on what to expect if you purchase audio gear from ShopGoodwill. I buy things from there often and still will but I am aware of the risk and am willing to take my chances. I simply want to pass along my experience to anyone not aware of GW shipping practices.
Any receivers, amps, pre amps, decks I have bought are packed as shown below. I have been lucky enough to not have any serious damage. When I buy sunglasses, clocks, anything else it has been well packed and protected.
I buy CD’s, tapes, records from GW, if I don’t like them I just drop them off so they can resell them, I’m a fan so I’m not looking for negative comments just passing on some relative info.
View attachment 1368983 View attachment 1368984 View attachment 1368986 View attachment 1368987 View attachment 1368988 View attachment 1368990
bet your are glad it got to you in one piece . must say that box looks like it took a good hit . p.s looked up that unit and noticed they aint cheap to buy .

Glad the Crown works. Looks like a very pretty piece! Never seen one of those before.

Keep in mind also, GW is a for-profit now and pays their employees hourly, so don't cut them too many breaks thinking they're a charity. They do a lot of good stuff in the community, but they're still a business and should be held accountable.

By god, this! ^^^^

Hope all is well with ya, sKiZo, and your recovery is going well.

It’s all passive except the phone stage. I have in front of a Mac 2205 and it does a good job. I’m expecting a couple TT’s from GW so we’ll see if I learned my lesson.

Back
Top Bottom