JVC Digifine FX-1010 cutting out..

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by VINTAGEO, Nov 7, 2017.

1. VINTAGEO

VINTAGEO Newbie in New B. Subscriber

I have a beautiful digifine set that works great except the tuner when in STEREO mode cuts out, when I push the MONO button it stops. signal strength is at 66/65
    Any thoughts?
    PS I don't have manuals

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

Proper antenna and alignment.

3. VINTAGEO

What would be a proper antenna for this model? info is hard to find...
    Also I noticed antenna A and B, do I need antennas on both?

4. Punker X

Punker X AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not familiar with this tuner. Post a picture of the your antenna connection. You may need an adapter to connect correctly. Old TV rabbit ears work great for FM antenna's. If there are A and B, then make sure you select the correct one on the front panel. It would not use both at the same time.

5. VINTAGEO

20171107_135440.jpg leaky caps maybe? Or is this glue? On regulator board.

6. VINTAGEO

Here are some pics of setup. 20171109_082803.jpg 20171109_082731.jpg 20171109_082636.jpg 20171109_082614.jpg 20171109_082507.jpg

7. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

At the very least pull the top of the dipole antenna wire so it is straight and perpendicular to the part running back to the tuner. I tape mine to a small dowel, makes it much easier to deal with. You can then easily experiment with orientation. Just getting it straight and away from the metal in the window shade will probably make a difference.

The 1010 is an excellent tuner, very well regarded. It pulls in stations well and sounds very good.

VINTAGEO likes this.
  8. VINTAGEO

Thanks for the input, I tried what you said with the antenna and it got worse, the best signal I can achieve is 68. Which forces the tuner to mute resulting in the cutting out of the stations,
    I'm assuming the tuner needs aligning since the radio station is only 2 kms from here and no real obstructions in between.

9. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Only 2kms away, maybe the problem is overload? I had the black version, the 1100, a while back but I don't remember if there is a Local/DX setting. If you can find one that would me worth checking out. The ergonomics of that tuner were somewhat challenging and the possible settings fairly extensive, it would be worth downloading a manual if you do not already have one.

10. RxDx

RxDx Speaker collector Subscriber

Might be worth experimenting with plain ol' rabbit ears, with adjustable elements.
    Also, FM signal strength can vary wildly across a few feet.

11. FauxHall

FauxHall Super Member

A signal strength of 65 dB is more than enough. The problem is not with the antenna.

Unless there is some odd input options then the problem is an internal adjustment. If you had a schematic you might be able to do it yourself but maybe not.