JVC Direct Drive 3 head TD-V541 motor problems

I have JVC TD-V1010 with same problem. I heard that this deck have some potentiometers for speed regulations inside that I need to turn with screwdriver.
Is that the case or is the caps also problem on this one.

I have JVC TD-V1010 with same problem. I heard that this deck have some potentiometers for speed regulations inside that I need to turn with screwdriver.
Is that the case or is the caps also problem on this one.

Your V1010 has direct drive and, yes, could have bad electrolytic caps on the motor control board. I would inspect those caps before playing with the speed potentiometer.

Hi all, just sign in here, i have a question regarding the JVC TD-V542.
I bought this tape deck combined with the Tuner, CD player and amplifier.
When i installed this stereo i found out that the tape speed was not correct.
I opened the cassettedeck and replaced the capstan belt , but after that the deck makes a noisy sound and the VU leds in the display are full when i turn on the deck. (5 db)
I can play or wind but the strange sound stays and the VU leds will not move.
It won't give any sound any more except for this noise.

After this completely wasted energy i found this article about the capacitors.
I would like to order the correct capacitors as mentioned in the link below.
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/171950808010?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Could this sound be there because of the bad capacitors ?
The only thing i could think of is that i might damaged something while removing the back of the capstan board.
I might have caused a short circuit on the phones / timer board by making contact with the bottom metal case. ( no signs what so ever)

Does anybody have a solution or seen this behavior before ?

Any help will be appreciated !!

Kind regards,

Ronald ( Vintage audio lover)

I just replaced the caps on my TD-V1010 and it worked wonders! It was playing way too fast and now it is dead on, great recommendation!

Just finished up this repair on my TD-V541 and am happy to have got my deck working perfectly. As you can see from my photo my soldering skills are minimal, but this wasn't a terribly difficult repair for a novice. A note for anyone planning on doing this, though, is that the original caps are surface mount, and if you buy through-hole replacements like me you'll find there's no holes in the PCB for the leads. If you're able, it's probably best to use SMD replacements.

Attachments

• IMG_6780.jpg
    IMG_6780.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 67
I've been following this thread, as I also have a JVC TD-541. It had a speed problem, as well as a start-up problem. I replaced the capacitors, and the tape speed is correct now. Thank you for all the helpful information.
Now, I need to pick someone's brain. When powered up, most often, there us no problem. Sometimes, the flywheels/capstans will just twitch once, and no spin. If I give them a slight push start, and they spin fine.
The mechanism was pulled, cleaned, flywheel bearings lubed with a tiny amount of white lithium grease, belt changed, same results after. It seems to happen most after it has been warned up. Any ideas why it won't spin up by itself?

Hi guys, so I did the repair with the capacitors, and it is now dead-on pitch-wise, and everything works and sounds great. However, I noticed that the meter is still running a bit fast even though it's working properly. Is this just a quirk with this deck? Any advice would be appreciated, as I don't want to let it sit if there are some potential issues that may cause me trouble down the line.

Great, thank you very much for this post! I fixed mine, and the only problem is time counter. It goes way faster than the real speed measured on stopwatch on 90 mins tape ?!? But deck is great !

Found this post on the net. Absolutely Fantastic! Replaced with new surface mounted capacitors and so far it's been spot on. Just a note, take your time removing the old caps, the traces are very thin. Had a close call but everything went fine. Had to use a solder iron, my surface mount blower was on the fritz. Thanks for the information!

flywheel bearings lubed with a tiny amount of white lithium grease

I believe you have damaged sintered bearings. Never use something like this s*it on bearings! You have last chance to disassemble, wash it out and relube by oil prescribed by manufacturer.

Just finished up this repair on my TD-V541 and am happy to have got my deck working perfectly. As you can see from my photo my soldering skills are minimal, but this wasn't a terribly difficult repair for a novice. A note for anyone planning on doing this, though, is that the original caps are surface mount, and if you buy through-hole replacements like me you'll find there's no holes in the PCB for the leads. If you're able, it's probably best to use SMD replacements.
Does this repair work on the JVC TD V-662?

I've been following this thread, as I also have a JVC TD-541. It had a speed problem, as well as a start-up problem. I replaced the capacitors, and the tape speed is correct now. Thank you for all the helpful information.
Now, I need to pick someone's brain. When powered up, most often, there us no problem. Sometimes, the flywheels/capstans will just twitch once, and no spin. If I give them a slight push start, and they spin fine.
The mechanism was pulled, cleaned, flywheel bearings lubed with a tiny amount of white lithium grease, belt changed, same results after. It seems to happen most after it has been warned up. Any ideas why it won't spin up by itself?
My JVC also has the twitching start-up problem. It originally had the speed problem, which I replaced the capacitors as recommended, which put the tape speed right on the mark. I believe it had the twitchy thing then, but I pushed the deck aside for other broken toys.
I decided to take up the start-up problem, but am not sure where to look. It requires a push start once in a while. I'm guessing the electromagnets are the problem, maybe an SMD that controls one of them. Any ideas? I appreciate any and all help.

Back
Top Bottom