JVC does not get much respect

I have a JVC JT-V71 tuner from the late 70's. Probably from the middle of their lineup. Sounds as good as the tuner on my Yamaha CR-1040 and seems to pull stations in better. Looks nice and I like the balanced tuning nob.

I guess not a whole lot of vintage JVC gear was sold, you do not see much on ebay.

I've always have had good luck with JVC equipment. In fact I have a High-End JVC VHS deck that is a real nice unit, had it for years and have never had a problem yet!! Just as good as any Sony Beta or VHS deck that I've owned and I've owned some really nice Sony decks!!
I like JVC gear!! :yes:

Last edited:
In the mid 70's I had a 55wpc JVC Integrated amp, I don't remember the model number, still have the matching tuner somewhere. Had a Quartz locked JVC turntable that I used for years, it as the amplifier are gone. The amp had two nice meters, played well and never gave me any trouble.

Traded it in on some SAE equipment, still have the SAE parametric preamp and the SAE power amp, just not currently in use.

Anyway, I have no quarrel with JVC equipment, but like so many after the 70's early 80's a lot of the leaders went for the mass market and lost a lot of their reputation.

Jim

My father still uses a JVC JRS-301 receiver from 1979.....has been used continuously since then, has never had to have been repaired. Some of the 5 band EQ sliders are a bit noisy now, but everything (all lights and meters) still work as new.

Tedrick said:
I had a late 80's JVC single-disc CD player that was a POS...

Do you happen to remember the model number? I'm hoping to go look at some cheap used hi-fi gear, 2 cd players one receiver, and one of the cd players is indeed a JVC.

Just curious if you remember. Non't kill yourself over it, if you can't recall.

My experience with JVC was primarily 90s gear. It was all bad experiences.

I know there was quality stuff built by JVC, I just need to find some.

I had an early JVC Pro Logic reciever. Never really cared for it. However the best TV I ever owned was a 31" JVC. I sold it to a friend who still has it and always raves over it's picture quality.

cubdog

thedelihaus said:
Do you happen to remember the model number? I'm hoping to go look at some cheap used hi-fi gear, 2 cd players one receiver, and one of the cd players is indeed a JVC.

Just curious if you remember. Non't kill yourself over it, if you can't recall.
I dug through my old AV receipts and manuals, but unfortunately I do not have any info on that old JVC disc player.

Tedrick said:
I had a late 80's JVC single-disc CD player that was a POS. Darn thing would skip for no reason, or load a disc and then just not play. Had it repaired under warranty twice, replaced with another unit the third time and still had the same problems each time.

You weren’t the only one,
When I worked at Sun TV and appliance in the late
80s there was a bunch of those that came in for repair.
Most all came in for the same reason you just described.

There's good JVC and bad JVC

JVC, like Technics, had some absolutely magnificent pieces, particularly their V-FET JS-S7 power amp and zero series speakers. It is my opinion that the zero9 , especially the later version with fuse protection (instead of a HP cap) is one of the finest speakers made at the time (possibly one of the greats of all time). I would confidently put them against any other speaker made at the time regardless of price, and I would be hard-pressed to find a speaker under $10k made today that would even compete with them, let alone blow them out of the water.

But, they did produce truly crap-tacular products too. I'm servicing an integrated amp of theirs, that while it looks quite impressive and high-end, it uses STK-0050 outputs. A friend of mine has a set of SX-series speakers, that again look remarkable until you take a closer look and find chinsy drivers in a sawdust enclosure.

If you see a set of zero series speakers, do not hesitate for a second to grab them; you will not be disappointed. It is also worth noting that much of their high-end gear never left Japan, but when it did, it was often under the Victor label and not JVC. Aside from the grille badge, my zero9's only make reference to Victor Company of Japan.

Ha Ha!!

tankdonovan said:
Check this cool looking cassette deck out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stereo-...7QQihZ008QQcategoryZ71574QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It may be crap but it looks pretty good.

TankDonovan
Thank you for that. I would Run Run Run. What super cool metering display idea on a consumer rig :banana: Don't know alot about old cassette decks. Had a SAE C101 that rocked, but some heathen took it off my hands :tears: JVC sure was out there when they needed to be, you go boys!! Peace, Craig
:music:

The company when it entered the US market slotted itself at the low end of the mid-fi to upper end of the low-end spectrum and much of what it produced was successful in that slot. Occaisionally, it tried to slot some equipment into the mid level of the mid-fi and even for a brief time tried the upper end. 1 reason why there is such a great range of JVC equipment that spans from better than Lloyds to units like the JR-S501 and 600II. The upper end units should they had the engineering abilty to compete against the likes of Pioneer an Sansui but, the company seemed not to have the business plan to do so.

I have a JR-S301, rated at 60 watts per channel @ 8 ohms. Huge unit for that power rating and against my other receivers and amps in that range, it has much more perceived power if not actual. Voicing is forward and authoritative than is usually considered colored by golden ear standards. The high end has a bit too much edge for my liking a hence not a favoite unit but good enough that it is not in my forget it category as is Pioneer.

MitsuMan said:
When were the zero 9's made Mike? And how did you first find out about them? :scratch2:

I've had two sets; the first set were made (apparently) in or around 1973; the second set came from about 1975, and feature some slight design changes, particularly in the x-over, which seems to produce noticeable improvements over the earlier version, not to mention improved protection for the tweeter.

The first set I had came from a friend of a friend, and were meant to replace my then blown Wharfedale E-90’s. After getting the Equasound speakers, another friend convinced me to sell the first set to him (I needed the space, and the money was not bad either), though with the stipulation that if he ever sold them, I would get first-chance to buy them back. The second set came about as the result of a chance visit to a pawn shop. As I mentioned in a previous thread, it was just chance that I got the first set, but fate that I got the second. They are one of only two-pairs of speakers in my “permanent” speaker collection along with and The Equasound Loudspeaker, and I will not ever willingly part with them.

There are a lot of what I believe to be Japan only Victor items to peruse at this site.

The translation is pretty rough, but you can see the sort of stuff that JVC was releasing in Japan. Looks to be of very high quality, but the site seems to only be showcasing high end gear.

Rich

Last edited:
Different RS-5????

Avocado Dream said:
My first integrated was a JVC, I thought it was wonderful, AR turntable, home made speakers - 17 year old heaven.

Just found an RS-5 receiver, can't wait to check it out. Could find zero info on it.

Here's a pic I swiped of my first.

That's wierd because my father sent me this image of an RS-5 he has. He wants me to look at it since it only outputs one channel.

As you can see this is visually quite different from your RS-5. Is my father's so old that they've started to re-use old model numbers? :scratch2:

I'm trying to find service/schematic info for this unit. If anyone has any I'd appreciate the assistance.

Cheers.

Attachments

• Stereo078.jpg
    Stereo078.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 165
Back
Top Bottom