JVC does not get much respect

I scored a pair of these and they are awesome. I could never sell them, they are just too cool. They sound like if my Smaller Advents mated with a pair of ADS L780s. Capable of very deep bass, but where the advents can sound wooley these sparkle.

Can you describe "wooley" for me? Have the Smaller Advents been recapped?

I guess I mean to say less mids and highs when the bass is equal volume? No, I havent re-cappted them. I was told better to hold off and dont fix it if it aint broke. I have had KLH 6's from 1962 that obviously needed caps, could barely hear anything from the tweeters. These sound good though, just lack midrange and highs compared to most speakers I have.

I picked up this TD-W218 tape deck today for $2 at a garage sale. After a bit of cleaning it's looking, working, and sounding good. I also have another JVC deck that is cosmetically challenged, but works perfectly and also sounds good.
IMG_20160506_142038825.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160506_115134212.jpg
    IMG_20160506_115134212.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I picked up this TD-W218 tape deck today for $2 at a garage sale. After a bit of cleaning it's looking, working, and sounding good. I also have another JVC deck that is cosmetically challenged, but works perfectly and also sounds good.
View attachment 730209
I've got a 254 and it sounds quite good. The displays are definitely nice looking. (I'm using mine with a Nakamichi RE-2 :thumbsup:)

I guess I mean to say less mids and highs when the bass is equal volume? No, I havent re-cappted them. I was told better to hold off and dont fix it if it aint broke. I have had KLH 6's from 1962 that obviously needed caps, could barely hear anything from the tweeters. These sound good though, just lack midrange and highs compared to most speakers I have.

Don't be afraid of recapping.......just get it done;)
Green or orange tweeters?

My first piece of audio equipment that was anything near hi-fi was a JVC LA-11 turntable. Very basic and cost about $110 in 1980 when I was about 14. It was reliable, and with adjustable VTF and anti skate, it didn't ruin my records. By 1989, it may have needed a belt change because it played a bit slow--my roommate commented that Roxanne ddn't quite sound like it should!

Well, I'll be joining the cult in a week or so. Bought a JR-S300 MkI for USD 111 shipped. In the end, I couldn't resist the distinctive style, and the thought of having a "four gauge" reciever. Supposedly fully working and with the original paperwork. After reading this thread, I expect to find a box full of scraps of very expensive Japanese plastic wrapped around a bounced-free tuning dial weight. :) Someone on local Craigslist was trying to flog a MkII for 150, but that didn't include the cost of schlepping 40km each way to collect it.

I intend to do the triac mod (http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....orth-5-and-an-hour-or-so-of-your-time.504673/) to reduce the burden on the power switch. Has anyone done this before on one of these units? My big concern is finding some place I can bolt/heatsink the triac to where it won't get into trouble. I get the impression the switch isn't as delicate as some models, but it's clearly not a soft-switch or the like.

Incidentally, I love shopping for electronic components online: It's amazing how a $2.50 part, by the time you get up to a sufficient minimum order to not be hit with penalty fees (Jameco, apparently, requires a $10 minimum order), becomes $14.30 delivered. :/ I suppose I'll use at least two of them (one for the JVC, and one to put in the HK385i as a guinea-pig for the procedure) anyway.

Now for the heresy (non-Klipsch): I'm thinking of swapping the lamps for LEDs, both to reduce heat production, and to possibly bail on the blue-white colour. I'm so fed up with white and blue lit stuff since everyone decided "let's pack every new TV and monitor, router, waffle iron, or 3v power brick with a blue or white LED visible from the International Space Station on an overcast night"... might go for red, yellow, or green.

The first proper audio component I ever bought was a standalone JVC tuner. I want to say T-X30 ; bought it a thrift shop and fed it into PC speakers since I didn't have a proper reciever. Pretty decent reception, as I recall... my standard for "decent" is "can I get KNX-AM from Los Angeles in Phoenix" which my current unit fails to achieve.

My first sound system was a JVC 3 in 1 back in the 90's. Kept it till the CD player stayed playing up and the speakers got crackly. Back then I thought it sounded great. Pretty sure if I heard it today I'd have a different opinion on it.

Today, my on piece of JVC gear is my QL7 turntable

You guys have some really nice JVC equipment. I'm looking for a pair of Victor SX 1000 zero. Just love the look of these speakers. I hear they sound pretty good as well.

You guys have some really nice JVC equipment. I'm looking for a pair of Victor SX 1000 zero. Just love the look of these speakers. I hear they sound pretty good as well.
Oh man, Zero 1000's are my bucket list speakers! Where are these listed? Hope you get them, they are pretty rare.
Glenn

IMG_1746.jpg IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1744.jpg IMG_1014.jpg IMG_1013.jpg IMG_0908.jpg IMG_3416.jpg IMG_1801.jpg Here's a few pics of my restored M-7050 cab. Re-veneered with Ebony, 26 coats of lacquer. The P-L10 cab needs another block sanding and respray. I'll need to wait for warmer weather in the Spring to finish it.
Yes, JVC does get respect!

Last edited:
Victor Zero 1000's are pretty impressive too! On my bucket list!

Victor Zero 1000's are pretty impressive too! On my bucket list!

I recently missed out on a pair of those! :( They were a more than I usually prefer to spend on speakers, but I know they would have been well-worth the money to get them. Oh well, maybe another pair will come at me in another 10 years. lol :/

Back
Top Bottom