JVC does not get much respect

Not exactly from the Zero-series, but these woodcones have a charm of their own.

Hout_8.jpg

Hout_7.jpg

I recently missed out on a pair of those! :( They were a more than I usually prefer to spend on speakers, but I know they would have been well-worth the money to get them. Oh well, maybe another pair will come at me in another 10 years. lol :/
Really! Where was this and what were they asking?

Really! Where was this and what were they asking?

They were near where I live here in Ontario, Canada, and they were going for $500(!!!), which is more than I'd usually spend on used speakers unless they were really something I wanted (these being on that list). They would have been a steal at that price, but I just missed out on the sale. Someone else got to them first. :( Story of my life. lol

That is a steal! I would have grabbed those without hesitation being pretty rare in North America. Maybe next time!

That is a steal! I would have grabbed those without hesitation being pretty rare in North America. Maybe next time!

Yeah, I called the seller and he said the guy he sold them to literally walked away with them only 5 minutes before I called, and that he was just taking the ad down. I can only imagine the buyer laughing like a jackal all the way to his car. lol :/

Yeah, I called the seller and he said the guy he sold them to literally walked away with them only 5 minutes before I called, and that he was just taking the ad down. I can only imagine the buyer laughing like a jackal all the way to his car. lol :/
I would have been bummed!

IMO JVC flies under the radar a lot... so many of their best outguns the hyped brands - IME JVC often runs better built output stages over the rest.... `nuff said.

Last edited:
Spent some time this AM working on a JVC VN-700 integrated. 4 resistors and 3 transitors (nec605/959) on the driver board for the downed channel. Replacing the blown NEC 188/627 outputs with some Hitachi 1030/756. Eager to hear it.:idea:

Last edited:
I had a JVC 35 watt per channel receiver as a kid and a cassette deck with meters and red lights that pulsed with the recorded signal as a teen. Loved watching those lights after a night of getting my mind right. Money by Pink Floyd was usually the last song of the night!!

Spent some time this AM working on a JVC VN-700 integrated. 4 resistors and 3 transitors (nec605/959) on the driver board for the downed channel. Replacing the blown NEC 188/627 outputs with some Hitachi 1030/756. Eager to hear it.:idea:

Powered this JVC for the first time this afternoon on a friends variac. DC offset wouldn't balance, so one more transitor was replaced by Nakdoc. Hearing it for the first this evening:thumbsup:. 40 massive watts of 1974 power.:D

I had one JVC power amp back when I was going to RIT. I don't remember the model number, only that it weighed over 80lbs easily and looking like it was almost 3ft to the back of the amp if you are looking at the front panel. Nothing fancy about it, no meters, just a big plain faceplate. That thing was hellacious, it had so much power that it could hurt speakers easily if you were not careful. It sounded awesome but the bad thing was that it ran pretty freaking hot when you put the boots to it. Back then, I was using it to drive a pair of highly modified T-300 towers. I am remembering that the amp was used for movie theater applications as I have never seen another one like it again. Dude I got it from had 4 of them at the time and said he got them from a Cinemax theater

^I would like to see what that looked like. Do you have any pictures of it?

Unfortunately no as this was back around 1995-96, I have scoured the internet in the past trying to find another one, even just a picture. It was not black, it was a dark charcoal

I have option of A-X3 and A-X5, which one should I prefer?
I have Aurex sb-560, it is flat, the vocal seems to be screechy, the another unit which I have is Sansui-AUalpha-507i and I like it, the vocal is smooth and has body.

image.jpeg I remember in the early to mid 90s all the manufactures were competing to get the best surround receiver they could produce with competitive costs. Sony, kenwood, Jvc and the,like. I really liked the looks of the jvc recievers and had quite a bit of power. I rocked it for a number of years till Dolby digital came out. Wrapped it up in a bag and put it away for years. Sold it for 50 dollars to a friend then bought it back. 20 plus years later I unwrapped it and turned it into a 2 channel system that I listen to the most. P.s. I try not to pass on higher jvc gear.

I have option of A-X3 and A-X5, which one should I prefer?
I have Aurex sb-560, it is flat, the vocal seems to be screechy, the another unit which I have is Sansui-AUalpha-507i and I like it, the vocal is smooth and has body.
A-X5, no question.

Back
Top Bottom