JVC does not get much respect

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by CharlieBee, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Nice get.

ilusndweller likes this.
  2. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

Thanks! It was actually pretty cool how it happened. I really had my eye on this amp (or the A-X7 or A-X9) thanks to GD70 and searched integrated amp on the local CL a couple months ago. One and only one amp popped up. :) I missed the address on the other side of town when I went the first time, but went back a few days later. DC offsets were really high at first (475mV and 50 mV) but I was able to dial both in to <1 mV. This model does not look to be 40 years old, but in 2 years it will be! Now I need to dig out my jvc 333 cd player and my silver (plastic) jvc single well cassette deck from same time period as amp and put together an all jvc system! This piece of kit can easily hang (not sure if thats the best word lol) with the current model nad c326bee.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  3. GD70

GD70 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad you grabbed it! Looks like it has the door too! The hinges are fragile and many broke and doors ended up getting lost over the years. Now, go find an A-X9! Listening to mine as I'm typing this hooked up to restored AR3's, superb sound!
    Let's see more detailed pics when you get a chance. Congrats!
    Glenn

ilusndweller likes this.
  4. GD70

That is a very nice amp. More were sold in Japan than here under the "Victor" name. It should be just as reliable as any other amp from the time period. Good power and great specs overall. I wouldn't hesitate getting it. My A-X5 has been great, the A-X9 needed some work but is playing terrifific now!

5. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Addicted Member

Thanks! It does have the door which stays "all the way up" 95% of the time. The other 5% it will open a few degrees. I plan to (non permanently) shape a small block of wood, affix it in middle region of amp (double sided tape or rubber cement)where door is and use a small piece of velcro so that it stays 100% up, 100% of the time(only need bass and treble under door and once they are set I wont adjust that often). Also... ALL volume knobs should be like this, large and in charge!

GD70 likes this.
  6. GD70

My door is the same way. You could also put a small piece of bicycle tube rubber on the sides so when you close the door it's sort of a gentle force fit. One of the things I need to do.

7. Frank Sol

Frank Sol Addicted Member

Listening to 'The Unforgettable Nat King Cole' on a JVC KD-85 (thanks rajoo) Cassette Deck now... Damn good deck!

8. JDN1

JDN1 Active Member

it sounds great and looks really cool, I dig the blue. You are right about the fast loading, that's really great for a DVD as CD. I went to a thrift store and tested a bunch and bought a few different ones after doing some research, figuring some may skip or break quickly since they're all older and pretty used, but they're all dirt cheap. I like this one best, speed and cosmetics so hoping it lasts.

mstrane21 likes this.
  9. VINTAGEO

VINTAGEO Newbie in New B. Subscriber

jvc sx-911.jpg Would love a set of SX-911's or ZERO..series
    I have the Super Digifine set, Which is AWESOME BTW!!
    AX-Z-1010
    FX-1010
    XL-Z1010
    TD-V1010 20170509_150353.jpg

10. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

I'd love to try those SX-911's and the AX-Z1010. I've been looking out for an AX-Z1010 for a while now, but for whatever reason, the prices have gone absolutely insane on them in the last year or two it seems. You could used to find them in the $150-$300 range, but now people are asking ridiculous prices like $600-$1000! I even saw an ad for one where the guy was asking $1,650! Just utter insanity. They're good, but not $1,650 good. I'd buy separates at that price. Kudos on a nice rig though.

Nightwisher likes this.
  11. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Active Member

There was a ax-z1010 in my own back yard 2 years back for 275 and I passed. I'm regretting it but there is a guy on the bay that has nos ones for 800-1200 on the bay depending on his mood. He also has a lot of NOS jvc items listed. Love the jvc stuff I have now.

12. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

Yeah, I think what has happened with them is that people are looking online for values on gear, and for whatever reason, people started randomly posting them at ridiculous prices without any reason for it, and it's just taken off from there. It's like a snowball effect: "Oh! This guys's got his posted for $600, so I'll post mine for $800 to see what I can get for it." >>> "Oh! This guy's got his posted for $800, so I'll post mine for $1,000!" >>> "Wow! This guy's got his posted for $1,000. I'm going to post mine for $1,200!" >>> "Holy cow! There's one posted for $1,200, so surely mine's worth $1,650!!!" And so forth. The current pricing on them, to me, just seems to be based on absolutely nothing, and was so sudden and out of the blue. It seems as though they literally went from $150-$300 to $600-$1,200 overnight. They're good units, but I wouldn't pay any more than $300-$400 for one, and even that's a bit high. Five hundred might be "fair" for an NOS one, but it damn well better have original unsliced factory tape on the box. But even $500 is pushing it. Silly interwebs. :/

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  13. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

JVC has been talked about often on the site. Folks have asked for a JVC thread in the past. They build some good gear, some not so good.

Cool thread!

14. Eywadude

Eywadude Lunatic Member

JVC CD PLAYER SUGGESTIONS

Since I've never tried any, I am interested in trying out some JVC CD or DVD players for playing CD's. Any suggestions? Cheers.

15. Tomw86

Tomw86 New Member

Well I rather enjoy the sound of my recently acquired JVC XL-V333 through my JVC AX-Z911 amp, it's not a range topper from its era ('87 I think) more mid-range but it does utilise a Burr Brown PM56 DAC which always has a pleasing sonic signature. Plus the JVC Optima mechanisms are pretty bulletproof apart from belts perishing with age.

I'd really love to find an XL-Z555 or an XL-Z611 to better match the amp but they don't pop up very often any more :( nor do TD-Z711 tape decks or SEA-M770 graphic equalisers, at least not at acceptable prices.

Seems that JVC is not as under the radar as they used to be.

Regards

Tom

Eywadude and Nightwisher like this.
  16. VINTAGEO

Very difficult to get your hands on high end anything jvc in North America

17. Nightwisher

Nightwisher Farer In The Goldilocks Zone Subscriber

I have an XL-Z331 I use in my main system as a transport. It has a digital output and the built-in DAC is quite nice as well. Excellent build quality. I love the thick tray and the laser will read even the worst of my discs (with minimal skips).

I also have a XL-Z212 and XL-Z311 that have the same build quality.

Eywadude likes this.
  18. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

I have a JVC JR-S600 receiver that I love. Paid five bucks for it at a garage sale. Only flaw is a broken off AM antenna. :)

19. mstrane21

mstrane21 Well-Known Member

The XL-Z### series is nice. I have the Z441.

The XV-N50BK DVD player is a super fast loader and sounds nice. Another guy and I were talking about it in this thread a few weeks ago. It's not something I'd pay shipping for on eBay, but definitely worth a whirl if you find one locally.

Eywadude likes this.
  20. VINTAGEO

XL-Z 1010 is awesome!

Eywadude likes this.