JVC JR-s501 receiver - broken power switch?

Hey folks. I just got a new SDU3P power switch on eBay to fix my JVC JR-S301, and I'm getting the snubber cap as well. Do I wire it across the two contacts in the back, with the thick yellow and black wires?

Sounds good, just wanted to double-check. I have a power switch and snubber incoming, so now I just get to take apart the entire front of the receiver to get it in.

usually between the two xformer leads
No, no, no. The snubber is wired ACROSS the switch contacts. Its purpose is to quench the arc between the switch contacts as they open or close, thereby preventing the switch contacts from burning. In your car (older ones, that is) the condenser across the points serves the same purpose. It would do no good at all between the two transformer leads.
Rick

No, no, no. The snubber is wired ACROSS the switch contacts. Its purpose is to quench the arc between the switch contacts as they open or close, thereby preventing the switch contacts from burning. In your car (older ones, that is) the condenser across the points serves the same purpose. It would do no good at all between the two transformer leads.
Rick
the transformer leads are for both poles of the switch, i am repairing one now

the transformer leads are for both poles of the switch, i am repairing one now

What do you mean?
According to the schematic in the service manual for EastPoint's JVC JR-S301 I found at the hifiengine.com website, the AC section of the power switch is single pole. One side of the power transformer primary goes directly to the AC cord and the other side goes to one contact on the the power switch. The other contact on the power switch goes back to the AC cord.
Is there a different schematic with a multi-pole AC power switch?
Rick

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom