JVC KD 65 worth the time?

revox-b77

This popped up locally. I really like the meters on this. Anyone have any experience with this deck? And yes I really need another cassette deck like a hole in the you name it.
Here is the sellers crappy photo.
01111_aaQWxEN9fkq_600x450.jpg

I am familiar with some of the mid to late 80's JVC three head decks such as the TD-V6 & V66, but not those from the late 70's such as this one. I generally prefer decks from select lines (like JVC) that were made from the early 80's to early 90's. In that era the specs on the decks had become quite good and it is before cost cutting took big bites out of quality and reliability.

The KD-65 appears to be a quality mid-line entry for its time. Relative to the better decks that arrive in the next decade, its FR response (especially on high end) is a relative weakness, especially when recording vinyl and discs.

I had one of those in the late 70's. It was a great deck that out-performed it's published specs easily. Never any weakness recording from Vinyl. I sold it and immediately regretted it.

Mark Gosdin

This popped up locally. I really like the meters on this. Anyone have any experience with this deck? And yes I really need another cassette deck like a hole in the you name it.
Here is the sellers crappy photo.
01111_aaQWxEN9fkq_600x450.jpg
I picked one up on e bay use it in my work out room in the basement about 5 times a week, it keeps working with no problems. I think JVC did good with this one.

This is an excellent JVC deck, which I owned and IIRC, was £249 here in the UK in 1978. It's built like a battleship, mechanically reliable and has great performance.
I was on the mad upgrade path then in my late teens, so sold it back to the dealer soon afterwards (for the same price BTW) and upgraded to the KD-85 which is basically the same deck, but with full servo control and then finally, the KD-A7, which I still have today and which works perfectly.

This is an excellent JVC deck, which I owned and IIRC, was £249 here in the UK in 1978. It's built like a battleship, mechanically reliable and has great performance.
I was on the mad upgrade path then in my late teens, so sold it back to the dealer soon afterwards (for the same price BTW) and upgraded to the KD-85 which is basically the same deck, but with full servo control and then finally, the KD-A7, which I still have today and which works perfectly.
Yes I'm finding out JVC makes nice cassette deck, I've seen photos of the KD 85 an 95 love to have one of them I don't think there to easy to get. I wouldn't sell it if I had one. Again I'm very happy with my 621 and the Dennon 800 A is pretty nice to I picked up.

Yes I'm finding out JVC makes nice cassette deck, I've seen photos of the KD 85 an 95 love to have one of them I don't think there to easy to get. I wouldn't sell it if I had one. Again I'm very happy with my 621 and the Dennon 800 A is pretty nice to I picked up.
BTW... I was wrong on the original cost. I've just found the price list for 1980 and the 65 was £404. The 85 was £449. The relative value for the 65 today the is £1,880! Our KD-A7 was £425 = £1,978 in today value.

I have a KD-55 (same year, model beneath) and I absolutely love it. The only difference between mine and that one is an equalizer and maybe one or two extra features. I don't make a lot of mixtapes anymore so I don't think Super ANRS is a big selling point unless you have old cassettes recorded with ANRS or Dolby B. You can turn it on for playback but it lightly muffles the sound quality. Overall if the machine is reasonably priced I would say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom