Morto

I recently got given a JVC L-E5 (full set up including original matching A-E5 amp, Tape Deck and Tuner). It was my Girlfriend's Dad's and he recently got a brand new player so had no use for it anymore. Despite being over 25 years old he had obviously taken very good care of it but I have no idea when (if ever) it was last serviced. I have only ever owned a couple of cheap belt drive automatic tables and have certainly never attempted to tweak one but the turntable may need a few adjustments; I have both the owner and service manuals (found here https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/l-e5.shtml ) and am happy to follow guidance but am very inexperienced and have a few questions:

1) When I used the automatic Start/Stop button to queue up the track for the first time, the tone arm didn't move far enough to the left to engage with the record and it ended up dropping off the lip of the record. The table is set to play 12" but the arm looks like it needs to move maybe 2-3mm further than it currently does. Not a huge issue as I can start play manually instead but figured there must be a way to adjust this, if so, how? I looked at section 6 -(2) - Lead-in Position Adjustment but i don't have a test record and so do not know which way to turn the screw to increase the lead in (which i presume needs to be done in this case)

2) When using the above to finish playing, or when the record has finished playing and auto return is engaged the tone-arm over runs the cradle by about 2-3mm so does not return properly. I expect this could be linked to the issue above?

I have also noticed that the tonearm tracking movements can be a little stiff and jerky; which parts (if any) should I lubricate or adjust to appease this? I believe I should steer clear of the guide wire and gearing teeth as I don't want to cause slip but the service manual isn't the clear about lubrication and I am not super technical and whilst happy to have a go at basic tweaks I am worried I might break something. It's a shame it has these minor issues as the player is very nice to look at and so far sounds great with everything I have played on it. Any Help/advice gratefully received, please go easy, I am new but happy to learn!
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Binkman!

I presume I'll still be able to mount a record (i'll use a suitably bad one just in case - sorry Barry White) with the cover off in order to access the screw whilst monitoring the queue action?

Back
Top Bottom