JVC Model 3 speakers worth saving?

Deep South

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I came across a set of JVC speakers at my local thrift ($30 for the pair). They were on the shelf with a vintage JVC JR-S200 receiver and I expect they belong together.

The question is about the speakers. They are a 2 way design and appear to have the same drivers as the rare SX-3 but they only have the number 3 near the binding post. They also have crazy Khaki colored race track grilles attached with velcro via the mid seventies.

I have searched but can't find a single picture of what I saw. Should I grab these??? :scratch2:

Very possibly.
Most JVC speakers are very rarely found in the US; most are probably forgettable; some definitely had potential.

Could this be what you saw?

http://www.audio-heritage.jp/VICTOR/Speaker/sx-3.html

sx-3.JPG

Drivers look identical but I don't recall a brilliance control. Cabinets weren't that nice but really solid.
I figured the crazy 1970's grilles would make them easy to find online.

I Only saw the number 3 near the binding posts but I guess the markings could have worn off.

I felt the woofers and they had a fabric surround instead of foam.

Drivers look identical but I don't recall a brilliance control. Cabinets weren't that nice but really solid.
I figured the crazy 1970's grilles would make them easy to find online.

I Only saw the number 3 near the binding posts but I guess the markings could have worn off.

I felt the woofers and they had a fabric surround instead of foam.

I'm interested to see what you mean by "crazy Khaki colored race track grilles"

The removable grilles were square and had a funky pattern pressed into them about 2 fingers wide and it ran a curvy pattern all over the grill.

Bought my first decent stereo in 1972 and have been around but don't recall ever seeing JVC speakers. I wasn't a huge JVC fan, though I had a pretty good cassette deck made by them I used for 20 years or so. Interesting, I'd like to see a pair in person, those SX-3's look very well made.

I didn't even know JVC made stuff of that quality! Those SX-3s give off a yamaha vibe, and that JR-S200 receiver is beautiful looking!

I didn't even know JVC made stuff of that quality! Those SX-3s give off a yamaha vibe, and that JR-S200 receiver is beautiful looking!

Well, some of their turntables like the QL-Y66F, QL-Y55F, QL-Y5F are highly sought after and command good prices on the used market. Their TOTL 120wpc JR-S600 receiver doesn`t give anything up to the other brands in terms of quality, though it looks much different than its counterparts. Some of their top tape decks were pretty good also.

Looked at these again today but didn't pick them up. I'll let them sit and I'll post pics if I end up with them.

Made in the USA
Model JVC-3
8 ohms

Drivers appear Identical to the SX-3 but with a veneer cabinet (MDF).

Can't help myself, going to get these and the JVC S-200 JR receiver today.

Still no real data on the Model 3 speakers but they are so close to the SX-3 that I think I might have a winner on my hands.

I'll post pics this weekend when I get them set up. :thmbsp:

You won't regret the purchase. For years, the 3's and SX3s (including versions II and III) were the best-selling "audiophile" speakers in Japan. I've owned several pair from the series, and while I eventually sold them all, I enjoyed them when I had them. They aren't perfect, but they reproduce some things like violins with really beautiful sound. Sonically speaking, they are worth way more than $30! (They sell in the used-audio wholesale market around here for over $50, and I sold mine at used-retail for over $100 profit, even after paying shop commission.)

Got them loaded in the truck right now. I plan to spend the weekend with these before I make a decision about what to do with them. These cabinets are 30 pounds each, so even if the drivers were bad I'd have a very good set of cabinets for a DIY project.

The receiver has cool blue lights on the meters and I might let my son use it... unless I really like the combo, then I'll be keeping them for myself. :D

Pictures to come!

Certainly not sx-3's since my old Allegros make them sound bad. Certainly sound better paired with the JVC S200 JR receiver, which tells me they were probably made together as a USA knock off.

I'm looking for my camera chip to take pics and will pull the 10" driver later to see what's inside.

Back
Top Bottom