JVC Nivico 5550u new aquisition

dat521gatherer

current projects
I just bought this and love it. All I did is clean it up a bit. The controls were scratchy so I took some deoxit to it. It has the s.e.a 5 band eq. The only thing wrong is the a.m. antenna bracket is broken. It sounds amazing.

I like those receivers too. Pretty unusual design when they first came out. You did some nice work on that one too. Any idea what the ICs (called out on the face) are and where used?

Trying to figure out where the output trans are on that unit..... Attached to the rear metal case?
Nice cosmetic job btw.

Yes sir it is. Good eye. I just got it back after loaning it to a friend and he said he didn't like the sound over the sx-727 I gave him. So much for trying to give him a upgrade.:screwy:

The SX-727 and 737 are among my favorite Pioneer receivers. The 950 is good sounding, but I like the sound quality of the SX-737 better myself,too.

Nice job on the cleanup! Looks great.

Looks great, I remember when that came out and wanted one bad! My dad has a 5003 receiver, bought new whole sale directly from JVC. I recently got the GB-1e omnidirectional speakers, which I wanted for a long time. He still has the receiver sitting on a shelf for now. These were ahead of their time in my opinion.

Cheers!

Looks great, I remember when that came out and wanted one bad! My dad has a 5003 receiver, bought new whole sale directly from JVC. I recently got the GB-1e omnidirectional speakers, which I wanted for a long time. He still has the receiver sitting on a shelf for now. These were ahead of their time in my opinion.

Cheers!

I googled those and they are cool. My orion book only lists one set of speakers the 5340's to match my 5550u. I'm sure some of the early jvc speakers would work too.

Was recently given a JVC 5550U, it's in bad shape and needs to be cleaned. Now this isn't my first old receiver that I've cleaned, but it's definitely the one I respect the most. It works, but the knobs have static when turned, like the volume and the SEA control sliders. Any information and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom