JVC/Nivico GP-1E speakers

Sir.Byrd

Lunatic Member
Recently I've been tasked to fix up a pair of these speakers that were hacked by the PO who had no idea how to take them apart properly :nono:
DSC_0001-38.jpg

Here's your problem! They cut all of the wires going to the input terminals so they could take them apart, little did they know you can just unscrew this part without cutting the wires if you spin the shaft it is attached to rather than the connector assembly.
Speaking of which, I cannot find a plug for this for the life of me, can anyone identify it? It is not a DIN plug because there is no room for an outer sleeve to nest into the female connector.
DSC_0004-40.jpg

Really odd little speakers
DSC_0007-29.jpg

I'm going to remember this: If I can't figure out how to take something apart cut ALL of the wires.

Hope somebody can help you.

BUMP.

I'm going to remember this: If I can't figure out how to take something apart cut ALL of the wires.

Hope somebody can help you.

BUMP.

Luckily they left me enough to solder to, I can't figure out how to remove the socket from the assembly.
I really hate it when people try to fix stuff but have no idea what they are doing.

The resemblance is uncanny.

I just posted a service manual for these on Hi-Fi engine. Not sure about the plug, but I'm betting a good electronics store would have a match. P.S. the center plug is not used.
Let me know if I can help any further! They are a nice sounding speaker..I JUST finally got mine wired correctly due to the service manual.

Why not just swap them out for some real binding posts?

Not enough room, plus I would like to retain originality as much as possible because the value of this speakers comes mostly from that.
Also if you leave it as a 3 or 4 wire connection, you can do some funky things with the speakers inside, like run stereo out of one speaker.

I just posted a service manual for these on Hi-Fi engine. Not sure about the plug, but I'm betting a good electronics store would have a match. P.S. the center plug is not used.
Let me know if I can help any further! They are a nice sounding speaker..I JUST finally got mine wired correctly due to the service manual.

What are you doing for YOUR plugs?
I saw the service manual, it was a big help. Luckily the PO had not opened the other speaker, so I have an intact one for reference.

Mine just have a four-prong plug that the wires are soldered into. One looks original, but one looks replaced.It is a pretty small plug. Only about 1/2" deep(not counting the pins). Wonder if RS might carry it? I would post pict's, but they are all buttoned up at the moment. Good thing they left a bit of wire as I dont believe the female socket is removable...I tried a bit ,but to no avail!

The resemblance is uncanny.

They are similar, but one way to tell them apart is that the JVC's use a foam surround, while the Deathstar uses an accordion surround. I bet the death star does not go as low, but it is probably faster and more efficient due to the stiffer radiating area and less compliant surround.

:D:D:D

Old thread revival.....
I have a to chance to pick up a pair of these, are they special? how do they SOUND?

My dad has a pair, original owner, around 1967-68. I lived with them for many years and from what I remember, they are fantastic sounding! The omnidirectional effect is very good. You can be standing next to one speaker, and hear the other one across the room perfectly. Bass is surprisingly deep.

I will have those speakers and the 5003 receiver that goes with them some day.

Okay Glenn, There is a pair of these (stand mounted) here that a MCM dealer buddy has and is selling. Good enough to spend money on?

Okay Glenn, There is a pair of these (stand mounted) here that a MCM dealer buddy has and is selling. Good enough to spend money on?

Depends on what he's asking for them. Prices on fleabay are all over the map. If they are in great shape you may want to grab them. The metal globe grills are prone to denting though when removed can be reshaped fairly easily. The original paint is flat black.
The pair I had are back at my Dad's, but he want's me to take the whole system as he doesn't listen to it at all.
The speakers are in need of a recap. When I had them, they sounded ok, but not as I remembered them from years ago. A recap should help as they sounded a bit dull.
The omni directional effect is very good though.

Glenn

Yep, globes have some dents and I too figured it probably wouldn't be difficult to get most of those out. I don't know what I would do with them other than they sort of fit my MCM motif. Hw would probably let me bring them home and clean them up and try them on my gear to see what they can do. He is thinking $250-$300 based on what he has seen on EBay.

You gotta wonder if your recollection of how they sounded when you were younger compared to now is because you now know what things can sound like.

Back
Top Bottom