JVC/Nivico GP-1E speakers

Yep, globes have some dents and I too figured it probably wouldn't be difficult to get most of those out. I don't know what I would do with them other than they sort of fit my MCM motif. Hw would probably let me bring them home and clean them up and try them on my gear to see what they can do. He is thinking $250-$300 based on what he has seen on EBay.

You gotta wonder if your recollection of how they sounded when you were younger compared to now is because you now know what things can sound like.

That's a strong possibility, they were also new back in 68, my hearing was a lot better I'm sure before years of blasting headphones!
Hey, if he'll let you demo them at home for a while, you got nothing to loose!

For future reference plugs can be purchased from here:
http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/oemvso4pm.aspx

Just ordered a pair of connectors for my newly acquired GB-1E globes. Thanks to Sir.Byrd for previously posting the source for the connectors! Much appreciated!

The guy I bought my globes from said the speakers on the bottom half of one globe weren't working. I figured maybe a wire came loose inside and it would be relatively easy to fix. Well, it might turn out to be easier than I thought. After I removed the stand from the suspect globe, I found that the ends of the speaker wire had been pushed into the connector and taped (as a very temporary connection). The wires fell out immediately, so I didn't actually get to see which pins they were connected to, but it seems pretty likely that only two of the four pins were being used, which means that only half of the speakers were being driven. So I'll try hooking things up correctly and cross my fingers that all the speakers work just fine. I'm really glad I took a look before hooking it up to my receiver though, as that was a short circuit just waiting to happen!

It might be a couple weeks before the new connectors arrive. Don't think I can wait that long ... might have to rig something up so I can give them whirl! :)

Just ordered a pair of connectors for my newly acquired GB-1E globes. Thanks to Sir.Byrd for previously posting the source for the connectors! Much appreciated!

The guy I bought my globes from said the speakers on the bottom half of one globe weren't working. I figured maybe a wire came loose inside and it would be relatively easy to fix. Well, it might turn out to be easier than I thought. After I removed the stand from the suspect globe, I found that the ends of the speaker wire had been pushed into the connector and taped (as a very temporary connection). The wires fell out immediately, so I didn't actually get to see which pins they were connected to, but it seems pretty likely that only two of the four pins were being used, which means that only half of the speakers were being driven. So I'll try hooking things up correctly and cross my fingers that all the speakers work just fine. I'm really glad I took a look before hooking it up to my receiver though, as that was a short circuit just waiting to happen!

It might be a couple weeks before the new connectors arrive. Don't think I can wait that long ... might have to rig something up so I can give them whirl! :)

Don't forget to check the schematic for the wiring diagram, three of the pins are used. I wired the two positive pins together at the plug so that I could use it with standard speaker wire.
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/JVC 5303-GB1E, 5303-2-GE-1E-2.pdf

Last edited:
Pop, on this thread. We had a pair of these in the stereo store where I worked. They were slooooow sellers. We were a Bose dealer as well so the comparisons of them was normal given both sat on a pedestal - not a contest though, with the 901s beating the pants off them.

They were slow sellers because 1) Star Wars had yet to be released and 2) they were all-metal and didn't fit into any living room decor. We sold a few pairs and I hung them from the ceiling on chains. That was ok but the dynamic range meant they would not fill up a typical living room loud enough for some customers. When run within their range, though, they sounded nice. Today, I'd add a subwoofer below about 100hz.

Cheers,

David

Pop, on this thread. We had a pair of these in the stereo store where I worked. They were slooooow sellers. We were a Bose dealer as well so the comparisons of them was normal given both sat on a pedestal - not a contest though, with the 901s beating the pants off them.

They were slow sellers because 1) Star Wars had yet to be released and 2) they were all-metal and didn't fit into any living room decor. We sold a few pairs and I hung them from the ceiling on chains. That was ok but the dynamic range meant they would not fill up a typical living room loud enough for some customers. When run within their range, though, they sounded nice. Today, I'd add a subwoofer below about 100hz.

Cheers,

David
Definitely a love/hate opinion regarding their design. I always loved them, my wife said no way for the family room. Totally agree needing to supplement with a sub.

Hello new to the site and caught the audio bug, I just picked up a pair of these and was wondering if anyone has taken the metal grill off for repair or repainting. I want to take them off without damaging them and get them powder coated if possible. Thanks in advance

Hello new to the site and caught the audio bug, I just picked up a pair of these and was wondering if anyone has taken the metal grill off for repair or repainting. I want to take them off without damaging them and get them powder coated if possible. Thanks in advance
Yeah, you just need to remove the stands, loosen the connecting rod that goes between the two so that you can remove both end caps, and you should be able to remove the grills from the hemispheres. You won't need to separate the actual enclosure, the metal grills should slide off with a solid pull away from the equator.

OK Great!, I can't wait to get them spiffed up. I'll post some pics when their done. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 5303 and the 5313?
Sir.Byrd Thanks for the help
Here's a youtube link to them in action, I know its not a true representation but you get the idea:

Those look like they are in great shape! Why are you powdercoating them? Are you doing a different color?
While you have them apart, you may want to replace the capacitors inside. I think there are two 1uF caps in each one.

Thanks I will definitely swap the caps. They are in OK shape, the back side has some pretty good scrapes on them and small denting. The black on the stands are also scraped up. Yes I was planning on changing the color. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably get my wife involved so I have a better chance of leaving them out on display. I just picked up some late 70's JVC gear on ebay to run them with. All brushed aluminum style. I might try to give the grill the same aluminum look kind of Atomic styling to the set. I hope I can pull it off.

Thanks I will definitely swap the caps. They are in OK shape, the back side has some pretty good scrapes on them and small denting. The black on the stands are also scraped up. Yes I was planning on changing the color. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'll probably get my wife involved so I have a better chance of leaving them out on display. I just picked up some late 70's JVC gear on ebay to run them with. All brushed aluminum style. I might try to give the grill the same aluminum look kind of Atomic styling to the set. I hope I can pull it off.

Look into plating as well to see if it's in your budget, yellow zinc electroplating could be a cool look as well.

OK Great!, I can't wait to get them spiffed up. I'll post some pics when their done. Does anyone know what the difference is between the 5303 and the 5313?
Here's a youtube link to them in action, I know its not a true representation but you get the idea:
They sound very good! Are these just the JVC's playing?
From my recollection, as the later versions were released, they could handle more power.

Also, post this in the official video thread so these will bet more views!
Cheers, Glenn

They sound very good! Are these just the JVC's playing?
From my recollection, as the later versions were released, they could handle more power.
That's right, Just the stereo pair from my PC direct through the amp, no processing. I recorded the audio with my Zoom 6 stereo mic from about 7 feet away. It might give the illusion that there is more low end than is actually there. I have to say that I am surprised at how good they sound. Paired with a sub to add warmth make for a pleasant listening experience. They would be fantastic as rear surrounds.

Hi there! I am currently fixing up some globes myself and thinking of repainting them as well.
Hi there! Very curious to see the end result of your labours. Recently I picked up a pair of globes. They are in desperate need of some refurbishing and I would appreciate to read on your experience as well as some hints on the best approach towards repainting them. Cheers!

Hi there,

I landed on this AliBaba cavern after extensive researches online!
I recently did an amazing bargain on a well known website! I am now owner of a beautiful pair of JVC GB-1E! Glad to be part of the community! Unfortunately, the cables were missing.... So I can't test them.
After a visual check outside, I have seen that the female plugs are in poor state and will need to be changed...

I went on the website Sir.Byrd advised some years ago, and Tommy.B 2.5 years ago, but unfortunately, I could not find any connectors which look like the original. I am looking for both Male and Female connectors. Would you still have the reference by any chance? your help would be very much appreciated ! Do they have a brand name? or reference number? is it a well know connector like XLR or DIN or something?

My plans are to open them and look how the speakers look like, check the state of the foam and replace them if needed! probably change the capacitor at the same time while it is open. The next step will be to repaint the feet, the tubular are scratched.... I am not sure yet about power coating the globes themselves.... I will maybe give a try with a power coating Spray I used for a bike (It is not paint, but power coat, the result was impressive) https://www.bricklanebikes.co.uk/
About the feet, I was surprised because they don't look like the one in manual Sir.Byrd has published:
Don't forget to check the schematic for the wiring diagram, three of the pins are used. I wired the two positive pins together at the plug so that I could use it with standard speaker wire.
http://akdatabase.org/AKview/albums/userpics/10007/JVC 5303-GB1E, 5303-2-GE-1E-2.pdf
It is like the cables goes through the tubular of the feet and does not just exit at the top of the tube (like in the manual). For information, the model I have is GB-1E Mark III. Anyone has an idea about the specs? it is only given 8Ohms...

Your help about the connectors and the model identification is more than welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom