JVC QL 5 and QL y5f value?

mg184

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I was wondering if somebody has an idea on the current market value of both turntables. Thanks!

I bought my QL-Y5F for 150, 3 years ago. Still works fine. Nowadays, I think QL-Y5F is 200 or more depends on the cartridge.

the QL5 model is far better than its competition back in the day (kd500, etc)
and is heavy and has TONE.

Last year I paid $275 for a very clean QLY5f with a Signet cartridge. So I assume that would be the high end price-wise. I replaced the pressboard bottom, tossed the feet for some Vibrapods and lined the inside with a generic Dynamat material.

I've also owned a KD500, I would rather have it with a SME arm then the JVC. However, the Kenwood would cost more and not have any automatic features or the cool servo arm.

interesting. I gave away a kd500 and kept the JVC, and you did the opposite. Although, did you
have an SME on it - that may be the difference but I had already had it with high mass
arms - see my rants on the Garrard Zero 100c's vinyl and cart destroyer.

the reason why I gave away the kd500 was a funky resonance in the bass and the tone
wasn't right. never looked back and those kd500 had several generation of fixes
and was abandoned after that. probably highly sensitive to arms and carts that
only work well with high mass TTs.

Actually I had a Grace arm but always wished I had the SME. I probably would have kept it if I had bought it with the SME. The Grace arm performed well but didn't have interchangeable cartridge shell capability and the VTF was fiddly to setup.

Again, interesting. so both of us got rid of the KD500, yours because the Grace wasn't as good as an
SME, and I because the IBW/ruby didn't work well.

I suspect that the Linn Sondek lp12 style of suspension design is at one end of the spectrum
and the somewhat massive (less suspension design) of the KD500 is at the other.

Back
Top Bottom