1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

JVC QL-F61

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by SirReal63, Jul 11, 2018.

1. SirReal63

SirReal63 Member

I just bought one of these off that bidding place. I am going to want to replace the cartridge with something better than the AT-3500h it appears to have.

I am so out of my comfort zone here, I have not had a turntable since the 80's. Searching the popular sites for a new MM cart has shown me a dizzying array of choices. My budget is around $100.

Any advice?

Link to the VE page.
    https://www.vinylengine.com/library/jvc/ql-f61.shtml

I do plan on modding the thing a little, better mat and some Plasticine in all the right places.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

Nagaoka mp110 would be a good start , from what I hear it’s an excellent cartridge and you can interchange the stylus with one of there higher end ones down the line .

Audiofreak71

SirReal63 likes this.
  3. nbndtrain

nbndtrain Active Member

I agree. I've had one on my Sony PS-X600 for years and it's a very smooth and balanced cart at ~$100

SirReal63 and Audiofreak71 like this.
  4. SirReal63

SirReal63 Member

Thanks, the Nagoaka is on my wish list. I was also looking at the Sumiko Pearl as well as several of the Ortofon like the Concorde Pro.

The entire world has changed since my old SL-B2 with a Pickering cartridge.

5. ranf1970

ranf1970 Life without music would be a mistake. Subscriber

I have a Nagaoka MP-11 (the older brother of the MP-110) and like it a lot.

The Sumiko Pearl has gotten mixed reviews so you might want to do a search here on the boards before looking at that one. Regarding the Concorde, I would make sure it works with your arm first. It looks like your TT has a straight arm.

Another Ortofon cart that is low priced, but a lot of people like, is the Omega. For about $40, it is a great deal.

SirReal63 likes this.
  6. SirReal63

SirReal63 Member

Thanks, this is exactly the information I was hoping for because I am lost in a sea of cartridges. :D

7. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

What's the rest of your setup?

SirReal63 likes this.
  8. SirReal63

SirReal63 Member

I will need a phono pre-amp.

Outlaw Model 950 pre-amp feeding a pair of Sonance amps, currently going to Genesis One's but am building a set of speakers. I use a Sony Blue Ray for CD's and stream to a cheap Chinese blue tooth tube pre-amp. I also use my old JL sub to fill out the bottom end.

Not a high dollar setup but it sounds surprisingly good.

9. louisjames

louisjames The "real" Louis James Subscriber

That JVC is actually a pretty nice table. I had both a F4 and F6 and found they sounded very good and were easy to setup and use. I tend towards AT carts but some find them bright. The MP110 is certainly a good one but you really do have a lot of choices. Do you tend toward a brighter / more articulate sound, or something that's more lush but might not be as detailed? Since you're building a set of speakers and these will definitely play a role in the end result I wouldn't spend too much to start with. Why not become a AK subscriber and post a WTB in Barter Town. I'm sure you'll get some very good options and can try out a few different things that way. Then when you're speakers are up and running you'll have a base line to work from and can make a more informed decision from there. Just my 2c's. YMMV. ;)

SirReal63 likes this.
  10. SirReal63

SirReal63 Member

The new speakers will be very bright, horn loaded Eminence APT200's but they will be padded for tuning. I like bright, i am almost 54 and the high frequencies escape my ears more than ever before. I also like strong mids and adequate bass, though I tuned my speakers to 30hz.

I have no doubt I will end up experimenring as I go, it is part of the fun, which explains why I am building my own, there are endless opportunities for experimentation. I have not looked into Barter Town yet, but will at some point in the near future. Mostly I just want to get this TT up and running. The wife has all of her Dad's Jazz albums, we bought a Spin-Clean and plan on exploring his collection.

11. Ken Boyd

Ken Boyd AK Subscriber Subscriber

I would have suggested the Denon DL-110 as they use to be just below your price range, but now they are almost double it. It use to be such a great value.

SirReal63 likes this.