JVC R-S33 Receiver

gunpoet

Chris Hewitt
Subscriber
I saw one of these today and was wondering if it was worth picking up. Not High end I know but to be honest the good stuff is out of my range unless I get lucky. Not fan of receivers with slide switches on the volume control. I can pick it up for around $30.

I had 2 of these. they are decent amps around 40 watts per channel.but those sliders are a pain to get clean and cause alot of problems, and this model has them for the eq.also.i kept one around that worked ok,but sold it a short time later.garage sale season is starting,you might find something else.

fair

If you have something better, give it a pass.
JVC doesn't get any respect although the SEA EQ as great tone controls.
For $30, it would be a good unit to play with and they are good quality (IMHO) but you may be better off saving the $30 towards something bigger and better.

You betcha pick it up! I owned one of those in the 80s & it is so underrated. You will be surprised with the sound & power (40wpc).

Still listen to tapes it was used as the amplification.
Very nice receiver that does not get enough respect...

Rome

For 30 bucks, I would grab it!

I have a RS-77 since new and it's a great performer.

I don't have any noise issues with any of the sliders. Just some LED's not working that I'm trying to get working again.

My 2c.

Glenn:beerchug:

I will buy just about anything I find under $30. I have never owned a JVC receiver but have a couple JVC cassette decks and they are very good quality. Go for it.

:banana:I was worried about the sliders primarily. I did get to hear the unit and it is in perfect working order. I have two systems in my room. A newer Onkyo and a Realistic STA 90. The STA 90 would be in mint condition but the Tape 1 input rca on the right side is flaky and in FM stereo mode the right channel breaks up. Not sure if it is a good unit or not. The sound is alright. It has been cleaned inside and out as well. Figured the JVC might be a nice replacement for it and I can get the realistic fixed and then let another beginner like myself have a shot with it. I really amd not a JVC fan to be honest but at $30 I might give it a shot. Feel bad adding the Realistic to the huge "needs work" pile of equipment I already have, lol. Thank you everyone for the replies!!

I think once you have the JVC for a while, you will become a fan.
I'm not sure why JVC doesn't get the respect it deserves, but this series, (RS-11, 33, & 77 were very good receivers with advanced features for the time.

Good luck and enjoy the JVC!

A happy JVC owner since 1980.

Glenn

I'm not sure why JVC doesn't get the respect it deserves, but this series, (RS-11, 33, & 77 were very good receivers with advanced features for the time.

Glenn

Main reason I haven't been a fan was just a prior bad experience. I'm gonna give this one a shot!! Thank you!!!:thmbsp::banana:

:banana:I was worried about the sliders primarily. I did get to hear the unit and it is in perfect working order. I have two systems in my room. A newer Onkyo and a Realistic STA 90. The STA 90 would be in mint condition but the Tape 1 input rca on the right side is flaky and in FM stereo mode the right channel breaks up. Not sure if it is a good unit or not. The sound is alright. It has been cleaned inside and out as well. Figured the JVC might be a nice replacement for it and I can get the realistic fixed and then let another beginner like myself have a shot with it. I really amd not a JVC fan to be honest but at $30 I might give it a shot. Feel bad adding the Realistic to the huge "needs work" pile of equipment I already have, lol. Thank you everyone for the replies!!

My most recent JVC purchase pushed out a "Needs work Kenwood" Out of the pile that has been sitting for over a year. I figured that giving someone else a chance at it while decreasing the pile of non working gear if I add a nice working unit will lesson the guilt of buying more gear if the price is equal to or less than what the cost would be to repair a unit.:scratch2:

Main reason I haven't been a fan was just a prior bad experience. I'm gonna give this one a shot!! Thank you!!!:thmbsp::banana:

Found this tucked away in my owners manual. I don't remember which magazine this was from, but I had clipped it out before I got my R-S77, knowing I must have this receiver. I had seen it and played with it at a Hi-Fi store called Harvey Sound in white Plains back in 1980.
Thought you'd enjoy it. :thmbsp:

Glenn

JVCADRRS-3377.jpg

Thanks for the ad. Man, that brings back some memories & I am going to play some tapes today in honor of the JVC R-S33 receiver. Both it & the S77 are beauties.

Rome

Just picked up one of these the other day as part of a bulk deal at a local thrift shop. Was able to get the JVC R-S33, a Pioneer SX-737, a Dual 1229Q TT, a pair of Altec Lansing 1010 studio monitors, and a pair of JBL G50 speakers. All for $100. I have the JVC R-S33 hooked up to the JBL G50 speakers and it sounds pretty good. I'd say for $30 you couldn't go wrong if everything is functioning properly.

Just picked up one of these the other day as part of a bulk deal at a local thrift shop. Was able to get the JVC R-S33, a Pioneer SX-737, a Dual 1229Q TT, a pair of Altec Lansing 1010 studio monitors, and a pair of JBL G50 speakers. All for $100. I have the JVC R-S33 hooked up to the JBL G50 speakers and it sounds pretty good. I'd say for $30 you couldn't go wrong if everything is functioning properly.

What a haul! Post some pics if you can.

Glenn

The first receiver I ever owned was a brand new JVC RS-77 I purchased via mail order when I was 19 years old. After I enjoyed listening to it for about ten years I passed it on to a close friend who kept it going for another ten years, even when it decided to turn MONO on him.

At times I have wished I had purchased a similarly priced SONY or YAMAHA receiver during that era, but overall I was very pleased with the power and overall sound of the JVC. :music:

I'm going to have the Altec Lansing 1010's refoamed later today. I'll post pics of the entire lot when I get back with the 1010's.

All I can say is that R-S33 is a sexy little new wave betty. There is one here local on CL for a hundy (!!!!) and I don't have nowhere near that kind of scratch. But I've downloaded the pics and added it to my slush file of gear to keep an eye out for. I'll be honest, I don't care what it sounds like. I think the 33 is about as hot as transitional gear gets. I'd be fine just leering at it. :D

All I can say is that R-S33 is a sexy little new wave betty. There is one here local on CL for a hundy (!!!!) and I don't have nowhere near that kind of scratch. But I've downloaded the pics and added it to my slush file of gear to keep an eye out for. I'll be honest, I don't care what it sounds like. I think the 33 is about as hot as transitional gear gets. I'd be fine just leering at it. :D

Hi Stogz!

Yea, just keep your eyes peeled for one as they show up much cheaper. It is fine receiver & if I can find one in this area, I will get it. Don't want to take a chance on having it shipped.

I had to sell all of my gear due to divorce in '91 that included that receiver & other JVC gear. :tears:

The 40wpc it is rated at does not do it justice. I think I am going to fire up some tapes I have today, that it was used to record. Bringing back the memories!

Rome

I sold a coworker my JVC R-S77 and a pair of Frazier Monte Carlos for $80. He is very happy! I really liked the JVC, but it was underutilized and he wanted a decent stereo.

Back
Top Bottom