Jvc r-x330v

mmann68

Anybody have any experience with these receivers? A mid 80s, black JVC model. I've had mine for 30 years and am having issues with the FM tuner lights not working. I have popped the top and am cleaning it out, and have also removed the face plate. The tuner readout seems to be an LED board of some type that is covered up by a metal plate. I don't have much experience working on electronics other than basic opening up and cleaning, so I didn't want to start pulling things apart that would make things worse. Anybody have any, hopefully quick and easy, tips for getting the lights on this receiver operational again? Thanks a lot.

I have a JVC RX-9V which has a digital readout, and uses bulbs. You could try opening it a little farther, and see if it does indeed have bulbs.

Thanks for the responses, guys. You're both right. This receiver does indeed have bulbs. I'm going to take some more time with it over the weekend. The problem is that there's two sections of bulbs on this receiver. The first row of bulbs, on the left side when facing the receiver, lights up the function buttons (i.e. video-1, video-2, cd/aux, phono, sound selector, etc). This row of bulbs is completely exposed, easy to see, and easily replaceable as soon as you take the face off. The second set of bulbs (I'm kind of assuming they're bulbs in there) lights up the tuner section. Unfortunately, this section of bulbs seems to be housed in what I would call an "inner face" inside the removeable face of the receiver. This "inside face" is attached to and fronts a metal box. My assumption is that the bulbs that light up the tuner section are inside this metal box compartment. This metal compartment also has a computer board attached to the back of it and, at a quick first glance, I don't see a simple click out or screw off method of getting it all apart and getting to the bulbs. The glass face on the front of the metal compartment is pretty well attached, as far as I can tell. So, long story short, JVC just decided to toy with me a bit on this model and is going to make it a chore for me to get to and change these bulbs. The tuner section works great, sounds great, just can't see the channels (lol). I've got several receivers in the house and this one, while I have had it for years and still like it, is on the candidate list to be sold. I have it cleaned up and sounding good, just have to get that tuner section lit up and it will be a nice little find for somebody.

Last edited:
I thought I'd try to push this problem I'm having with my mid 80s JVC back up the list. See my original post, but I have been inside this thing a couple of times now, and cannot seem to find a way in to replace the tuner bulb. The face of this receiver has a row of easily identifiable bulbs in a row for all the operating functions. These are easy to see as soon as you get inside. And the face of the LED tuner section is easy to see, too. The problem is the glass face of the LED tuner section is attached to the front of a metal box that I just can't find my way into. The bulbs for this section, I think are inside this box. And they are completely separate from the other bulbs. I thought I'd throw this issue out one more time to see if anyone had any other ideas. I have a pile of receivers, and this one is a candidate to be sold. It is a very good little receiver, and despite the light issues, the tuner itself works great. You just can't see the channel you're on because of the light issue :). Would love to get this issue fixed without having to pay a service fee for such a simple issue. And don't want to knock a ton of dough off my asking price for a light. I have the original manual and original box for this unit, but the manual is no help. Thanks to anyone else with any ideas.

I thought I'd try to push this problem I'm having with my mid 80s JVC back up the list. See my original post, but I have been inside this thing a couple of times now, and cannot seem to find a way in to replace the tuner bulb. The face of this receiver has a row of easily identifiable bulbs in a row for all the operating functions. These are easy to see as soon as you get inside. And the face of the LED tuner section is easy to see, too. The problem is the glass face of the LED tuner section is attached to the front of a metal box that I just can't find my way into. The bulbs for this section, I think are inside this box. And they are completely separate from the other bulbs. I thought I'd throw this issue out one more time to see if anyone had any other ideas. I have a pile of receivers, and this one is a candidate to be sold. It is a very good little receiver, and despite the light issues, the tuner itself works great. You just can't see the channel you're on because of the light issue :). Would love to get this issue fixed without having to pay a service fee for such a simple issue. And don't want to knock a ton of dough off my asking price for a light. I have the original manual and original box for this unit, but the manual is no help. Thanks to anyone else with any ideas.

I'd suggest getting the service manual for it. There's usually an exploded diagram showing the complete assembly. Try here. http://www.servicemanuals.net/ServiceManual/JVC/r+x330v/pos1/results.aspx
Good luck.

Last edited:
I found the service manual for free online - but it didn't help. So I took a closer look...

The display is illuminated by a fuse-style lamp, 12V, 150 ma. The clips are on the underside of a small circuit board mounted at the back of the light box for the display. The board is held in place with two twist tabs.

I found the service manual for free online - but it didn't help. So I took a closer look...

The display is illuminated by a fuse-style lamp, 12V, 150 ma. The clips are on the underside of a small circuit board mounted at the back of the light box for the display. The board is held in place with two twist tabs.

Replace them with LED fuse lamps of the same value. You'll never have to change them again. I would also replace any other old bulbs now, while it's all open.

Glenn

Replace them with LED fuse lamps of the same value. You'll never have to change them again. I would also replace any other old bulbs now, while it's all open.

Glenn

I don't doubt that this is good advice. But considering that it possibly took 28 years for that original lamp to burn out... Anyway, how long do these ancient receivers remain operational? Are they worth keeping?

Oh, the service manual DOES show the lamp in the exploding diagrams. But ironically, it was easier to locate the lamp on the unit itself than in the manual. ;)

I don't doubt that this is good advice. But considering that it possibly took 28 years for that original lamp to burn out... Anyway, how long do these ancient receivers remain operational? Are they worth keeping?

Oh, the service manual DOES show the lamp in the exploding diagrams. But ironically, it was easier to locate the lamp on the unit itself than in the manual. ;)

They can perform well for a long time. My dad has a JVC 5003 receiver from 1968 working fine. I've owned my R-S77 since new in 1980 and it's working perfectly and sounds great. Worth keeping in my opinion. JVC doesn't often get the respect it deserves.

Glenn

Wonder whatever happened with the JVC.
I just picked up one from eBay...and, of course, there's no lights in the tuning section.
LOL
Have to find out what the seller wants to do about it.
I'll update when I get some news.

Back
Top Bottom