Jvc R-x400?

plan9

I am Trying to find an amp for my niece. The local pawn shop has a
JVC R-X400, He wants $75.00 for it. Should I do this or is that too much for
this unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Plan9

Don't know the piece, but judging from my rather old Orion Blue Book, its not a steal, even if it might be a reasonable price. So I wouldn't feel like I had to buy it right away because I might miss out. But for me the real issue is not so much price as ergonomics and style. JVC went their own way on design, and while some people love how they look and feel, others don't. I'd be hesitant to let a JVC reciever in the house, but I am a real stick in the mud. What matters is what your niece thinks.
I've got to say you are a pretty generous relative if you are willing to drop $75 on one component. Good for you.

Thank-you Nat...I was beginning to think I was not going to get a response to this thread. It looked like the only decent amp he had and she's a good kid.
I personally dont own any JVC myself, so I didnt know if it was a rip or what.I will pass for now, something else will come up..Thanx again

P9

I happen to own this receiver, and it holds the distinction of being the only unit in my receiver collection that I bought new (in 1984).

An early digital tuning receiver, this unit may be considered by many here at AK "past the prime" of quality receivers. But I have always liked mine, good sound, plenty of sound tailoring controls, and the looks are hard to beat, IMO. Kind of a "junior Galaxy Commander" (Kenwood KR-1000) concept.

Depending on condition, $75 is probably on the high end of the value of the unit. If you want digital, keep an eye out for early Technics receivers as well, often go for low cost at auction, usually a good value. If digital is not important, the options open way up.

$75 is too high. I bought my R-X500 with remote off epay for $50 shipped.

But the look is very modern, and most people probably wouldn't even realize it's age.

$75 is too high. I bought my R-X500 with remote off epay for $50 shipped.

But the look is very modern, and most people probably wouldn't even realize it's age.

I agree with both comments. Unless you can find a '400 in original box, in mint condition, with all documentation, $75 is pushing it. The R-X400 does not have a remote, which to me is the main advantage of the R-X500. I believe the '500 is a black-faced unit (or was it available in silver also?). Either unit was ahead of the times in the styling department, IMO.

I have plenty of receivers I need to divest (I think there are 40-some in inventory), but my R-X400 will not be one of them!

Yeah, I know we're way beyond addressing the original question, but I just don't see this model come up on AK in any discussion, so am simply taking advantage to expound!

I believe the '500 is a black-faced unit (or was it available in silver also?). Either unit was ahead of the times in the styling department, IMO.

I have note seen a silver. I've heard the black called R-X500B, but have not seen one. Also, my manual does not dipict a silver 500, but a black one and makes no distinction that I can find.

I've inquired about the Rx-400 here and some posters have definitely given the 'thumbs up' on this unit ...while mine is currently comatose at the moment, I'm saving for a complete overhaul of this receiver.

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I recently bought an R-X500 and I'm pretty impressed with it. I think I gave $55 bucks for it, which 10 years ago would have probably been about right for this unit, but seeing as how vintage has made a pretty strong comeback, I feel the unit could probably pull $100 or better now in the condition it's in (near mint).

I'm actually surprised by the clarity of the unit. In the Vintage shop that I bought it, they had it connected to a pair of Klipsch speakers that sounded very crisp. I got it home and connected a pair of JBL HLS-610's and it sounded even better. Still had the same crisp highs, but the JBL's brought out the mids better.

I haven't found a flaw in the functionality of the receiver yet, and the photo stage seems pretty adequate. I do, however, prefer the multi-chromatic display of the R-X400 better. But that's no biggie.

Back
Top Bottom